What hymns?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

What hymns?

Post by oopsorganist »

Could anyone be so kind as to suggest some suitable hymns for the Offertory and Communion at the Vigil Mass. I was going to do Now the Green Blade Riseth and just a communion hymn, maybe, This is my Body but have got opposition. We are finishing with Thine Be the Glory. I can't bring myself to put in Jesus Christ is Risen Today at the Offertory and Bring all ye dear bought nations bring at Communion, yet these are probably the only ones that the congregation (might just possibly) sing. What are others doing?
uh oh!
oopsorganist

thread

Post by oopsorganist »

Where would I find this text for Christ Be Our Light? We know that tune and it would be good to have even just one that was accessible to the younger people at church. Or in everyday English for those new to the language.
uh oh!
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

We'll be using ;

Alleluia, alleluia, give thanks to the risen Lord,

Taize: Surrexit Christus

This joyful Eastertide,

I find it a problem to find fresh hymns for the end of the Vigil. So much goes into the earlier part.

We have a Baptism for the first time in a few years, and we are using the John Becker setting of the Litany of the Saints, which I heard used at the only Vigil Mass I have been outside the parish for, three years ago. I was very effective and I hope it works here.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Easter Vigil CBOL is in Decani's Resurrexit, or as an Octavo from OCP. I have a spare one somewhere if you want to PM me an add. The words are at the bottom of this page

We're doing this too at prep of gifts, and finishing (one of the few times we have a recessional hymn) with Thine be the Glory, hopefully with trumpet and flute as well as the organ.

Late edit: Just spotted it can be purchased as a digital octavo from OCP- give them the princely sum of $1.20 and they'll let you have the PDF- even quicker than Royal Mail driving 10 junctions up the M1 :D
oopsorganist

thread

Post by oopsorganist »

Thanks.
uh oh!
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

For the vigil I will be using "At the Lamb's high feast we sing" for Offertory, and since everyone will have had quite enough of singing by communion we will be doing the Communion Antiphon "Pascha Nostra" from the Graduale Romanum if I have recovered from my present cold in time, or from the Graduale Simplex otherwise, followed by the organ playing "Vater Unser in Himmelreich" from the Orgelbuchlein.

To balance this rather conservative selection, earlier on there will be music by Paul Inwood and Pascal Jordon et al.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Now retired, however we used to have
Blessed are you Lord God of all creation - instrumental to start with, then priest singing verses and all responding, ending with a final instrumental verse - there are fine festive instrument parts.
Communion - the idea was to pull it all back a bit, so
We come to share our story -
Then
All heaven declares - done with great intensity by all
Ending with the inevitable Jesus Christ is risen etc and something big and showy on the organ.
The idea was that the musical focus in terms of jollity should centre on the Gloria, Alleluia, Sanctus, and end (send 'em out with a spring in their step, feeling that they have really celebrated something.) I aimed for a rise and fall in speed, volume, jollity, reflectiveness. trying to avoid a migraine that would wreck Sunday morning - which is still THE Easter celebration for many(most.)

Alan
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

We're doing At the Lamb's high feast as our recessional. No hymn at the preparation of the gifts: we've got a choir piece, namely Paul Inwood's magnificent Easter Anthem. At communion we'll have Confitemini Domino from Taizé.

On Easter Sunday morning there's room for more favourites, and we've got Jesus Christ is risen today, Surrexit Christus (Taizé), Now the green blade riseth and Thine be the glory.

M.
johnmac
Parish / Diocese: WESTMINSTER

Post by johnmac »

Vigil We're singing Chris Walker's Out of Darkness for the prep of gifts; David Ogden's beautiful 'I know that my redeemer lives' for communion and Bernadette Farrell's 'We will rise'. These are all congregation pieces, since we're tackling Chris Walker's St John Passion on Good Friday so I think that's enough tricky stuff!!!

All in all a fun-filled week!
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

LASST UNS ERFREUEN - how many beats on that last "lu"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZV6PCQVR88
Peter

Post by Peter »

presbyter wrote:LASST UNS ERFREUEN - how many beats on that last "lu"?

Should be three, though most congregations (not to mention some priests!) get impatient and settle for anything between one-and-a-half and two-and-a-half.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Humph - my video link now indicates the video has been removed ...... it included Mr Bean attempting to sing an indeterminate number of beats on that last "lu" .... oh well .... it was funny
oopsorganist

thread

Post by oopsorganist »

yes I saw it...... if I get the giggles during the Easter services I will blame you!
uh oh!