Theology of Music

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Chris

Theology of Music

Post by Chris »

I have just been re-reading the book version of Miraim Therese Winters PhD, 'Why Sing? Towards a theology of Catholic Church Music.' I would recommend this to you all if you haven't read it - it is really quite readable and has an extensive (although slightly out of date now) bibliography.

Anyhow, I thought I would briefly share her conclusions with you as food for thought, and for material for future discussion.

Her conclusions focus on the reasons for polarity today in Catholic music circles. Here in a nutshell, are the main points of her conclusions:

1) The focus of polarisation in RC church music today is in the legislation - a problem basically of interpretation: the problem being essentially theological.

2) Two theological orientations are present in the Conciliar docs: i) A tridentine theology with 'other world' emphasis, and ii) a new incarnational theology involving this world. They provide the basis for polarisation resulting from diverse interpretations.

3) Two liturgical foci emerges from Sacrosanctum Concillium: i) Cathedral liturgy (bishop surrounded by priests & people) ii) pastoral (parish) situation.

4) Two streams of music, rooted in the differing theological orientations and liturgical foci co-excist in the church: i) 'pastoral song' - promoted by SC Ch 1= active participation. ii) 'rich musical tradition' promoted by SC Ch 6.

5) Most of the conversation (read: polarisation) to this point is on what should be sung, and how to sing it - rarely on why sing at all. In Winter's view, a new theology of music based both on scripture and tradition is needed to provide a basis for the use of music in liturgy today.

Personally, I think that most of the different 'streams' of viewpoints on RC music can find there home fairly solidly in one of the theological/ liturgical / musical partition's that Winter creates.

I would be interested to hear what others think of this material.....
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Ooooooooo - not read this - just snaffled a s.h. copy from abe books - back when I've read it.

First thoughts though - the causes of polarity in the Church are not primarily musical but ecclesiological. I suggest it was not Sacrosanctum Concilium that disturbed some Catholics so much (a lot of the theology of that document already present in Mediator Dei) but Lumen Gentium.

It might be an interesting research project to compare the liturgical and musical preferences of, say, five thousand practising catholics with the particular "model of church" they carry with them as part of their being - using each of Avery Dulles "models". I wonder what the results might be.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I think Presbyter has hit the nail on the head, but I also think it goes further than that. There are those who are naturally "conservative," or "liberal," or "progressive" etc. This will colour all sorts of preferences and choices. Musical tastes and shades of churchmanship are another expression of this. And because the roots of these preferences are bound up with subconscious areas, they don't mix well with logical discussion - which is perhaps why some of the exchanges here are so prickly and defensive.
Perhaps the traditional banned subjects for dinner table discussion should be expanded to politics, religion and musical taste.
Alan
musicus

Post by musicus »

Nick makes some good points. I would comment that, with all the emphasis on composition in the school curriculum these days (and with some marvelous stuff being composed for GCSE and A level), I should like to see our Catholic secondary schools encouraging their students to compose for the liturgy (and use their music in school liturgies). Where else will we discover the next Duffy, Walker or Farrell? Of course, this presupposes that Catholic music teachers (and RE teachers, too - who always seem to have the final say in what happens in school liturgy) know something about pastoral music and pastoral liturgy. In my experience, I regret to say that they tend not to.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Nick Baty wrote:
There is a movement among younger musicians to take the assembly's music away from them and give it to a choir or other ensemble.

If at 33 I count as a 'younger musician', (and given the age profile at summer school, or at an average church, I suspect I do) that movement doesn't envelope all of us. I would agree entirely with Nick's view on music above. Does this make me a younger musician 'of a certain age' ? :lol:
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

musicus wrote:I should like to see our Catholic secondary schools encouraging their students to compose for the liturgy (and use their music in school liturgies).

we do use a Kyrie with melody by a teenager, and an Easter hymn by a then primary schoolchild (both my sons as it happens....) arranged by our pianist. I wish I knew more music-theory to help them...
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Another thought.
Much of the discussion on the board has been about music for the Mass. Is anyone planning the shape of the music for Sunday Celebrations where there is no priest? It would seem that these will become the norm in some places before long.
Should these be as celebratory as the Mass should be?
Are there bits that should be sung?
The reasons for Alan29 are many and various. It is not a good thought that there might be another 28 of me. Nature could not be that cruel.
Alan
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Chris - you didn't say this book is 244 pages and another 100 pages of references!

Don't think I'm going to get through it in one sitting ;)
Chris

Post by Chris »

Thats really quite short for a PhD! And it really is quite readable.... 8)
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

Chris wrote:Thats really quite short for a PhD! And it really is quite readable.... 8)

my copy has just arrived (thanks abebooks...) about the same number of pages as my PhD thesis - but not nearly enough pictures :(

Tim
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Chris wrote:Thats really quite short for a PhD! And it really is quite readable.... 8)

Considerably longer than mine though!
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

My memory was inaccurate - my PhD was 203 pages, but only 23,000 words (the rest was equations and pictures) and to return to within earshot of the topic of liturgical music, two of my figures were of trombones (or at least an approximation to them using Dupin's Cyclides).

I have only had a quick glance into "Why Sing" so far, but I do plan to read more. I suspect that Pius X might not have approved of our Children's Music Group - Winter supplies the quotes:

"the piano is forbidden" also "noisy or frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, bells and the like"

So there go the bongos :(
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

TimSharrock wrote:Dupin's Cyclides

OK - so I was daft enough to google that (:shock:) - let's just read the book!
Ian

Post by Ian »

It's a matter of development and balance. The thrust of the Church's teaching on music in the liturgy it is that it has the ability to direct the spirit heavenwards; that it should serve the liturgy; and that a particular musical tradition so exemplifies these first two, that it should have a prominent place in the Church's liturgical life. These principles and their working out run through liturgical history like a golden thread. Vatican II re-emphasised them, and also affirms the communal nature of the liturgy. As Popes since then have reiterated, these two are not in opposition. Unfortunately, too many of those involved in the working out of the one have ignored or been unaware of the other, with all too often dreadful results. However, the current Pope seems to be addressing the problem, and it's to be hoped that this will encourage education and practice that make this problem a thing of the past!
musicus

Post by musicus »

Welcome to the forum, Ian.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog