Rehearsing the assembly

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

asb

Rehearsing the assembly

Post by asb »

I have asked before, but can't remember if I had an answer (!)

How do I introduce new congregational music if my PP is against congregational rehearsals?
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Nick Baty wrote: In my parish, the PP will often insist I go over a psalm reponse before Mass even if it's one the people know well – it's the reverse of the warm-up comic – my job is quieten (funny word!) the assembly who are catching up on the gossip, selling raffle tickets, greeting people who've been away ill, welcoming visitors etc.

Quietening - lovely word. We have a routine that I will start playing quietly about 5 mins before curtain up (usually something close to the opening hymn to establish the key in my and their minds). I stop with about 2 mins to go, and we get some precious silence before we start. It took a long while for me to stop panicking about the silence, and understand its value.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I was lucky enough to "run" the music in a parish where the people loved to sing - they rivaled the local Methodists! I found that if a new item was done for a couple of weeks running, then it was learned. Our set-up was a small band with 3 or 4 singing instrumentalists, and some young woodwind players seated at the side of the people, facing across them.
More generally I think it helps enormously when new material is memorable, has strong verbal content and is of high musical quality. That doesn't mean simple. Interestingly songs that were in the plural "We......" were often more successful than "I........" songs.
Not sure about using the rehearsal to quieten down the people before it starts. Not sure that people being a community in that way is such a bad thing. It could be argued that they are forming the assembly by checking up on family news, how the sick/elderly are getting on, parish fair etc. They then bring this to Mass. Isn't the opening song meant to gather the people? Not too sure about that.
Alan
sidvicius

introducing new sung repertoire

Post by sidvicius »

My preferred solution is to utilise the same mass setting for a liturgical season. This builds up a repertoire of what's important (to sing), makes people and priests less jumpy about 'what are they going to play (that we don't know) this week', and emphasises the seasonal changes.

Without choir, one way to introduce new hymns if required, is to use them as pre-mass music, or at services other than mass. If a hymn is brand new I do try and play it on and off for several weeks. This may also serve to emphasise a season, and cures that (unnecessary) faff of looking for an 'offertory hymn' about 'offertory'-type gestures.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Rehearsing the assembly

Post by organist »

Dear Nick Hilarious! :lol: In our diocese gold lame jackets are de rigeur for diocesan celebrations! No, no just teasing!
In my present setup, I play a suitable voluntary often based on hymn tune we are to use and vicar introduces the liturgy and then has a short period of silence before announcing the first hymn. I think this actually works rather well. This could be done before the collect which is meant to "collect" all our prayers. We all need silence and I find silent meditation sessions really help.
First Communion celebrations are a nightmare - how I wish this were done at the normal Mass the family attends and not as a special show!