Christingle services

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

asb

Christingle services

Post by asb »

Our Children's Liturgy group have asked for a Christingle Service early next year, but the PP has more or less rejected it on the grounds that it's "Anglican". I know that in recent years Christingle services have been promoted by the Church Of England Children's Society, and indeed I have played for them on a number of occasions.

Is there anything about them that is against Catholic teaching please? A Google search earlier threw up several references to such services being held in Catholic churches...... :?
Petrasancta

Post by Petrasancta »

The PP is talking rot. The service began in Moravia and is as Anglican as the haggis or the sauerkraut (not that there is anything wrong with being Anglican). Many Catholic churches have them in this country as well as schools and at least one Jesuit College to my knowledge. In atmosphere it resembles a children's Candlemas service, always very effective and memorable for children. I would recommend using a data projector to show the hymns - this enables you to keep the church dark and atmospheric.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Our former glorious leader at the liturgy office talks favourably about them in the Liturgy Newsletter last May
http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/liturgy/Newsletter/Reviews/BR-May06.html (Right at the bottom of the page.)

Even if they are Anglican, why should that necessarily be grounds for rejection? As there's nothing as far as I'm aware that conflicts with our theology, we shouldn't reject something successful just because someone else thought of it!
sidvicius

Post by sidvicius »

Mind you I can see why a PP might query it. What exactly is a Christingle service anyway? What is its Moravian counterpart? - I can't imagine it was called Christingle in Moravia, wherever that is.
Petrasancta

Post by Petrasancta »

My reservation about Christingle services is that, if held too early in December, they can diminish the liturgical effect of Christmas. I find it strange that so many churches of so many denominations criticise shops for starting Christmas too early and then themselves introduce Christmas carols in Advent, The argument goes that people enjoy singing carols so it is a shame to restrict their use to such a short period of time.
sidvicius

Christingle

Post by sidvicius »

I just looked it up, and I can't see anything wrong with it. As a children's service, it might be a good way of connecting local faith schools during Christmastide, a reminder to them that the holiday season is Christmas, not the two months before it.

I agree with Petrasancta, and there is no reason other than convenience that these things occur before Christmas. Given the busy education program facing all schools, it might be better that a Christingle service - which seems relatively simple to provide - occur during the Christmas holidays. There are at least three days on which it could take place; I can't recall ever going to a service to celebrate Holy Innocents (seems the most appropriate day), St Thomas Becket, or St Sylvester, patron saint of...er...
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

sidvicius wrote:
or St Sylvester, patron saint of...er...
Puddy tats? :)

Sorry Sid, it was a sitting duck.
sidvicius

Trying to stay ON TOPIC

Post by sidvicius »

Almost precisely my point. I'm sure he was a very nice man and Pope, but he wasn't martyred - deserving of a feast day ? - so Gwyn what are your thoughts on Christingle?