Imprimatur

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Imprimatur

Post by nazard »

Until about 1975, hymnbooks intended for catholics had the "Imprimatur" of a catholic bishop on their title page. This told the would buyers reader that a bishop considered the book to be free of doctrinal or moral error. Since then hymnbooks have not had an imprimatur. A few have an introduction of other informal endorsement by a bishop, but most have nothing at all. Does anyone know why?

I have heard suggested explanations as follow, but no one seems to know conclusively.

a) The bishops have decided collectively that they do not wish to endorse hymnbooks.

b) The bishops do not approve of the current hymnbooks .

c) The publishers don't think that we hymnbook buyers care about what the bishops think.

It would be fascinating to know what is really going on.
musicus

Post by musicus »

A good question! Perhaps Martin Foster (Liturgy Office) will read this and reply.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

d) maybe there just aren't enough hymns that would qualify?
Martin Foster

Post by Martin Foster »

To try and answer the question to the best of my knowledge.

Where an imprimatur is sought it should be from the diocese where the publisher is based. It is not usual for a Bishops' Conference to give an Imprimatur. Therefore there would not have been any collective decision not to give imprimaturs.

An imprimatur is permission to publish. Before it can be given there has to be a 'nihil obstat'. A nihil obstat is not a statement of approval it is a statement that there the publication is free from doctrinal error.

Therefore an imprimatur is not giving approval rather it is saying that there is nothing wrong. Or to put it another way a hymnbook with an imprimatur does not necessarily mean that is a hymnbook that serves the liturgy well.

Whether this situation may change in the future is a matter for speculation.

Martin
Martin Foster
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

contrabordun wrote:d) maybe there just aren't enough hymns that would qualify?

I think the congregation would be surprised at what would have to go. Hark the Herald Angels Sing would be out.
nazard

Post by nazard »

You have had me pouring over my pile of old hymnbooks. By the way, every organist should have such a pile, it enables you to find the paleolithic items you sometimes get requested for funerals. The newest hymnbook I have with an imprimatur is the "New Catholic Hymnal" published in 1971, with the imprimatur of Charles Grant, Bishop of Northampton. This includes "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", but with the line "Mild He lays His glory by" changed to "Humbly lays his glory by." What was your objection to "Hark the Herald?"

The 1998 "Catholic Hymnbook" prints the common words. It has no imprimatur, but does have an introduction by Basil Cardinal Hulme.

On the general subject of imprimaturs for hymnbooks, I wonder if Contrabordun is right.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

nazard wrote:What was your objection to "Hark the Herald?"

The line 'veiled in flesh the Godhead see' sounds a bit like docetism to me.
btw can anyone explain what the line "risen with healing in his wings" means!
nazard

Post by nazard »

Yes, decetism seems pretty apt, and as for His wings, I know of no scriptural reference. Mind you, there are plenty of other references in popular rhymes and art to things that aren't in scripture. Carols are pretty bad, eg the three kings has no basis for either the three or the kings. Paintings are even worse, being more or less entirely invented.