Proclamation of the date of Easter

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Proclamation of the date of Easter

Post by mcb »

Did anyone else have a Proclamation of the date of Easter at a Mass today? Very good it was too.

We don't usually get a big crowd for our Triduum services, especially the Mass of the Lord's Supper and the Easter Vigil. It's as if the reforms of 1955 never quite penetrated the consciousness of the community here, so people are happy to come along on Good Friday and Easter Sunday, but don't hold with the new-fangled stuff. I've often felt that more ought to be done to encourage participation in the whole of the Triduum, and today's proclamation - the first time I've seen it happen - seems like a positive step.

M.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Positive indeedy.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Re: Proclamation of the date of Easter

Post by docmattc »

mcb wrote:I've often felt that more ought to be done to encourage participation in the whole of the Triduum.

Couldn't agree more. I tried once to push for making much more of the Easter Vigil, only to be told that its 'only a Saturday night Mass'. If the faithful aren't reminded that the Triduum (as one service but split over 3 days) is where we're heading for the whole of the year, then participation will be poor. Doubt we had a proclamation of the date of Easter, but I wasn't there.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

We more than doubled the number at our Easter Vigil last year by letting it be known among the congregation on palm Sunday that the folk group would be doing Easter Sunday mass. I hope that most of you have folk groups good enough to make this tactic ineffective.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

:lol: at Nazard.

We had a folk group once, ours was OK but I've heard some abominations here and there on my travels. In my experience Folk groups seem to range between mediocre and terrible.

They're a bit "70's' and dated these days, aren't they? Does anyone know of a really good one?
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

I agree, Nick: define 'Folk Group' first!

If Gwyn really means 'anything which doesn't use the organ, but has guitars', then it is a tad sweeping to condemn all as mediocre and terrible. :evil:

To answer Gwyn's question about knowing of a really good one, yes, I do! But it is not a 'folk' group in that it doesn't use folk music (at least no more than a trad choir does). It is a liturgical ensemble, well aware of its role within the assembly, making some effort to learn together, pray together, play together using a variety of instruments including voices (in parts), guitars, bass, clarinets, recorders, violins, organ, trumpet and piano (though not all at the same time), and led by someone who is sticks a lot of hard work into making it work musically, pastorally and liturgically (but that's enough about me!)

Don't take a pop at 'folk' groups without removing all the little old dears from the organ too - you know the sort I mean - for mediocrity is not the sole preserve of the guitarist! :wink:
Benevenio.
Sonoqui

Post by Sonoqui »

Speaking purely as a b*m on the pew rather than the voice in any choir (and believe me, you would be less than impressed if I opened my mouth in song!), may I be allowed to say that I agree with both Nick and Benevenio: define 'Folk Group' first!?

Isn't the mere use of the terms 'folk music' or 'folk group' a little outdated, as well as patronising? I well remember the days of the late 70s/early 80s when those terms were widely used - and when, incidentally, I couldn't be bothered to go to church. They may well have described the 'alternative' music used in the Catholic Church in those days but they are certainly well off target for the here and now. Today's 'modern' church music is, in my opinion, truly inspirational - as is much of the traditional music.

Benevenio says that he knows of a really good modern 'group' that is 'a liturgical ensemble, well aware of its role within the assembly, making some effort to learn together, pray together, play together using a variety of instruments including voices (in parts), guitars, bass, clarinets, recorders, violins, organ, trumpet and piano (though not all at the same time), and led by someone who is sticks a lot of hard work into making it work musically, pastorally and liturgically'.

Funny that, Benevenio, but I know of just such an ensemble too! I wonder if it's the same one!!!!
estuaire

Post by estuaire »

With ref. to this debate then.... what category does Silent night come under? Is it "folk" as it was written for guitar? :lol:
BTW - MCB you must have a very enlightened Priest! Take care of him while you can. :twisted:
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Folk Group – for myself at least - conjures up a picture of a rhythm guitar or two supplemented with perhaps a windy instrument, maybe a keyboard, and a few singers one of whom can knock out a counter melody. Often they sing the songs that were composed round about the time JPII came to the UK offering Entrance, Offertory, Communion and Recessional songs but never a Sanctus or other Acclamation.

This may not be the experience of anyone else, I can only speak of my own experience, maybe I should get out more and further :lol:

Beneveno, little hatted old ladies playing on manuals alone are seldom more than one parish away, :roll: maybe I'm one of 'em?
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

Gwyn wrote:little hatted old ladies playing on manuals alone are seldom more than one parish away, :roll: maybe I'm one of 'em?

Surely if you were you would be Gwen? Enw gwrwaidd yw "Gwyn."
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Nazard said,
Surely if you were you would be Gwen? Enw gwrwaidd yw "Gwyn."

Guffaw & chortle,

Gwen efallai?
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

As a programmer I would prefer a proclamation of an algorithm to compute the date of Easter, for example the one at the end of http://www.davros.org/misc/easter.html.

Tim :wink:
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

estuaire wrote:MCB you must have a very enlightened Priest! Take care of him while you can.

Bad luck, Estuaire - you, er, he's been replaced by a computer. :-) But can it sing?

M.
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

mcb wrote:But can it sing?

No, but it could do your job - or mine - mcb! :cry:
Benevenio.
estuaire

Post by estuaire »

I couldn't possibly advocate the replacement of the clergy with computers whether they could sing or not! However replacing singers with computers could be an interesting forum topic. :wink: