Start of Advent

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

presbyter wrote:So that's punting and cross country as Advent seasonal activities then. What else should I be attempting? Is there an Advent equivalent of the 'glorious twelfth'?

There is of course the Advent power lifting contest: Weight for the Lord
Dot

Post by Dot »

The equivalent of the glorious twelfth (no shooting before that date) should surely be:
no carols before Christmas
whenever that is - 17th Dec????

Is that really the forgetful mcb at the piano in above piture? The evidence is compelling (only top of head visible above piano). He may have forgotten he's met me as well as Tim Sharrock. If not, I shall have to rely when I next meet him on probably being able to run faster than him (from all that Advent cross country training).

Dot
(ducking for cover)
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

TimSharrock wrote:as it happens I did not see mcb yesterday - though my eldest son drank some of his beer (he was off at the cathedral when we returned from the Advent Family Day

Actually I was hiding in the cupboard under the stairs. Didn't think to lock up the beer though.

Dot wrote:The evidence is compelling (only top of head visible above piano).

Look, it was a huge piano, right? And the people standing around were all nine feet tall. Anyway, I accept it was me. I'd just forgotten ever having that much hair. :(
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

The BBC (in its Blue Peter manifestation) have just done it again, claiming that today is the 11th day of Advent. I make it the 16th day of Advent.

Maybe it's my fault for watching it. :?
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Gwyn wrote:I make it the 16th day of Advent.

Well if that's true, I'm a week behind in the Divine Office and some of us sang the wrong Vespers yesterday at St Chad's Cathedral.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Gwyn incorrectly reckoned
I make it the 16th day of Advent.

. . . or maybe it's the 9th day of Advent?

Any road up, today isn't the 11th day of Advent. Blue Peter & the rest of the BBC (other than the Rev. Rog Royle) are reckoning Advent from the 1st of Dec. Tut tut!

Did anyone attend the ecumenical service for the new bishops at St. Chad's?
Sonoqui

Post by Sonoqui »

presbyter wrote:
Gwyn wrote:I make it the 16th day of Advent.

Well if that's true, I'm a week behind in the Divine Office and some of us sang the wrong Vespers yesterday at St Chad's Cathedral.

Does anyone know when Christmas Day is this year?

Have heard rumours that it's the 25th but now I'm not so sure!
Tsume Tsuyu

Re: Aaaaaaaargh...

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

TimSharrock wrote: .....but no kangaroosies :(

You were in the wrong place! We were awash with kangaroosies in the (very posh) dining room in Cathedral House whilst we drank our tea after Vespers at St. Chad's. :-)
TT
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

So when does Christmastide end?
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Look, you've got this Christmas thing all wrong - it just comes down to how much chocolate you can stuff in a given period. So it starts as soon as you've eaten the first offering in your Advent calendar - and ends only when you've tucked into the first Cream Egg for Easter, usually on sale from Boxing Day.

Perhaps more importantly, this year sees the fourth Sunday Advent displace the usual liturgy for 24 December celebrating the Feast of the Contractions of Mary, which will now start the day before. Can anyone suggest suitable songs to sing for this (extended) feast?
Benevenio.
estuaire

Post by estuaire »

how about "Dilate the Advent Candle four".. maybe an extra candle could be provided.
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

Or, as I mentioned a thread or four back, 'Come and deliver us, come and deliver us, come and deliver us, Lord most high' (with that squealing descant played on a recorder)...

:shock:

pirate
presbyter

Re: Aaaaaaaargh...

Post by presbyter »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote: the (very posh) dining room in Cathedral House

I ate in there today - is it so posh? It's only had a coat of paint and the table has been re-polished. I say this because that which I consumed was a Christmas Dinner ...... so has Advent ended now?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Gwyn wrote:So when does Christmastide end?

Some would argue the 2nd February - at which feast (in origin) the Pope wore black vestments
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Nick Baty wrote:I'm getting rather confused about when term actually ends!

Usually, the term lasts for 39-40 weeks in humans and ends when the baby's born…
Benevenio.