O Jesus Christ, remember

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

asb

O Jesus Christ, remember

Post by asb »

I have always envisaged and used this primarily as a Benediction hymn, taking very literal account of the words "Who now upon this altar in silence art concealed". I have also used it as a communion hymn. However, i have seen it programmed as an Entrance, offertory, and Recessional hymn. How do people feel about this? a former PP explained to me that i was being too literal, and taht to traditional catholics, "Altar" means anywhere in the Sanctuary area, including the tabernacle..........

One for Presbyter possibly?
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

I like to use this one as a recessional especially on Ascension Day.

I always use the tune "Pearsall" for it, which always was associated with it in catholic hymn books until recently, and leave the slightly dreary Aurelia ( O'Reillya ) for less inspiring hymns.

I trust that my last comment will get discussion going again, this board has been a bit idle for the last fortnight.
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Which brings us neatly to "One Hymn to the tune of another" - not as complicated as it sounds. I read somewhere that Oh Really, Ah was originally written for "Jerusalem the golden", hence the name.

Last Christmas my choir sang "O little town" to the melody "Bethlehem" - there is a lovely arrangement of it in the Kevin Mayhem book by Malcolm Archer, and I found the original arrangement of the tune in my wife's copy of The Methodist Hymn Book.

Did anybody last Sunday play "Crown Him with many crowns" to the RR Terry tune?
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Aurelia

Post by organist »

I like "Aurelia" and everyone seems to know it which is more to the point!