Soppy sixties service sheets

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

thread

Post by oopsorganist »

I am getting very very confused.

It would seem that I can pick up one of the two hymnals at my disposal and choose anything but no, some of it may not be appropriate and I have some inc ling that some of it is dire anyway. Better to stick to the old stuff then. That's fine by me. Easier to do on the organ too. But people are beginning to say that they don't know the Victorian and earlier hymns. Now thank we all our God, Firmly I Believe and Truly etc, Come Down Oh Love Divine, ... we can't sing that now. We just like All that I am and Bind us Together. And, I the Lord of Sea and Sky.

Planning the music is becoming very difficult for us. I don't want to put energy into learning new material if it is not top, for Liturgy or for taste/style whatever. For example, we have brought in Follow me, Follow me and also Freely Freely you have received etc, which I quite enjoyed at first but now I am fed up with them but the congregation have learned it and like it.....try singing "Oh Godhead hid devoutly I adore thee" and watch the faces...........but I love that one and we can even make it sound OK with the guitars going. Even Father thinks that is an odd one to do!

I feel a bit worried that I might get it all wrong in spite of wonderful advice on the forum. Is Laudate better than HON and CFE?

Of course I have gone right off thread. But I do keep checking the date of things now just in case they are seventies. What is coming out is that some material is as difficult as "Blowing in the Wind" even if it has a scriptural basis. Out of curiosity, is material from the St. Louis Jesuits better /sounder to use?
uh oh!
Dot

Post by Dot »

Stay calm, oops. "Now we remain" has been held up as a shining example by one of those deemed sufficiently "in the know" to give the James Crichton Lecture. I stick to my line that I will never pass judgement on musical or liturgical worthiness, though I am entitled to my own tastes.

Dot
musicus

Re: thread

Post by musicus »

oopsorganist wrote:I am getting very very confused.

Follow your instincts, Oops. If you 'have an inkling that it's dire', then it probably is. If you think it's good (i.e. it seems OK theologically, isn't musical tripe, and you reckon it would enrich your people's worship), then introduce it. Never mind whether it is ancient or modern, so long as it's 'good'. If they don't know 'Come down, O love divine' and you reckon they should, then teach it to them. If a hymn or a song doesn't work with guitars, or organ, or whatever, then sing unaccompanied.

Hymn books contain a certain amount of popular dross because they have to sell in large numbers. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Laudate has much less dross in it than other hymn books. In my parish, we use music from a wide range of hymn books when we prepare the weekly service sheet, but if I had to stick to just one it would be Laudate.

At the end of the day, we in the UK don't (yet) have a list of theologically/musically/pastorally approved hymns and songs to choose from. Until we do, we must use our own judgement and taste. We will make mistakes, but we will do some good too. And all the while, we should be educating our judgement and personal taste where we can: summer schools, workshops, diocesan days, visits to other parishes, recordings, books, etc, etc. It's a life's work!

Stick in there, Oops!
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Soppy readings: Liturgy matters?

Post by VML »

'Discuss,' says Presbyter, noting what is current in funeral choices.
I'd like to ask what is suitable for liturgical use, what is allowed, and how far the bereaved have a free hand in substituting the readings with poems from the Coop funeral service handbook, Patience Strong type stuff 'chosen by Nan', and bits of Gibran?
Maybe these, set to music, might become the new 'hymns.'

Our latest two Requiems have included these. Neither Mass had a psalm, and the congregation are invited to sit during the Eucharistic prayer if they find that more comfortable. This might just be a thoughtful gesture at a Requiem, or even a wedding, but when it is the option at First Communion Mass, something in me wants to say, 'This is the centre
of our Faith, the holiest, most solemn part of the Mass, and we kneel as a mark of reverence.'
As one priest used to say: It's all catechesis!
Sorry: Off topic, but it seems to be part of the 'lets have a bit of something meaningful and comforting so long as you don't get too religious,' attitude.

We have our annual liturgy meeting this week. Is it uncharitable of me to raise these questions?
Benevenio

Re: Soppy readings: Liturgy matters?

Post by Benevenio »

VML wrote:…something in me wants to say, 'This is the centre
of our Faith, the holiest, most solemn part of the Mass, and we kneel as a mark of reverence.'

We thank you, Lord, for counting us worthy to STAND in your presence… Enough said.

Back to the topic!
Yes, Nick, I do and will contact you off this board to discuss.

But for everyone's delictation, here is the opening of Bread of Life to the tune of Lemon Tree (by Peter, Paul and Mary):
When all the world was blind and wrong
and groping in the dark…

Ah, happy days!
Benevenio.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

New topic - Requiem Masses and funeral services.