Sequence for Easter

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Sequence for Easter

Post by Ros Wood »

I have not been able to find a version of the Sequence for Easter Sunday that I am happy with. Has anyone any ideas? It needs to be playable on guitars and with an easily singable (dare I say catchy) congregational part. I have thought of composing something myself but inspration is failing me.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Ros,

For years I used a great and rousing Graham Kendrick song called "Led like a lamb to the slaughter" (aka He's Alive). It suits guitars and/or keyboard and is a remarkably close paraphrase of our Sequence text. Since the chorus is a three-fold Alleluia (which I did as (1) choir (2) congregation - left side (3) congregation - right side), I had the song do double duty as Sequence/Gospel Acclamation - two for the price of one!

Not strictly a la Litugiam authenticam, but it worked.

You can find the song in Mission Praise, if you can locate a copy. I daresay it's in The Graham Kendrick Songbook too, but I don't have that.

This is a "courageous" choice, but I urge you to try it.

M
Ros Wood

Post by Ros Wood »

Thanks M

I've tried Led like a lamb for the past couple of years. If I get nothing that fits better I'll use it again this year. I just wondered if there was anything else out there.

Ros
sidvicius

Post by sidvicius »

Celebration, Hmyns No 38, "Bring, all ye dear-bought nations, bring" and 44 "Christ the Lord is Risen today!" are both based on the original prayer. I admit I haven't tried to play 38 on a guitar but I would think it isn't impossible. If you can manage Kendrick's song (I always mess it up) you shouldn't have a problem.

I have played 44 on guitar and it works quite well, though I guess it's really designed for a keyboard instrument. Both quite old hymns but jolly enough to be bawled out by the driest of congregations.

Hymn no 27 seems to be in the ballpark too, but I can't remember the tune (I've only got the words edition just now). Might be worth investigating. More info (on the prayer) at http://www.intermirifica.org/easter/eastsun.htm
Ros Wood

Post by Ros Wood »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've now written a versified version with an Alleluia response. The group like it - I just need to see how it goes down on Easter Sunday. One slight drawback - the response is so catchy that we meet the people coming out of Stations singing 'Alleluia'!! (Stations has been time to coincide with the Music Group practice so that it doesn't disrupt Choir Practice)
sidvicius

drawback?

Post by sidvicius »

That doesn't sound like a drawback - especially if your stations end with Jesus risen from the dead, it fits into the sequence perfectly. Oh, but wait a minute - yes, I see what you mean. Sorry - bit slow on the uptake there...

'Catchy' is difficult to argue with! "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad" - Sheryl Crow
manniemain
Parish / Diocese: St Margaret's Huntly - diocese of aberdeen

Re: Sequence for Easter

Post by manniemain »

We used "Led like a lamb" for a long time and it worked well for us. Last year we used Samual Webbe's "Victimae" which is beautiful albeit just for choir and organ.
Rob
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Re: Sequence for Easter

Post by docmattc »

We revisited this topic in another thread last year. I give it here for completeness