tree hugger hymns

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

tree hugger hymns

Post by oopsorganist »

Thinking ahead to Autumn Harvest Festival all that ......

has anyone got any ideas of what to sing, thinking here of looking at ecology, environmental issues and impact on people in less affluent societies of our lifestyle. Hopefully we will have help from our local primary and do a joint Sunday Mass.

BBC Come and Praise has a couple but one of them "When our father made the world" is a bit soppy somehow and anyway no one knows it. What would you use in such a Mass?
uh oh!
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Not exactly the environment, but what about "For the healing of the nations" (sung to Mannheim)?
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Scholastica

Post by Scholastica »

We used Laudate 687 "God in his love for us gave us this planet..." One of Fred Pratt Green's with some challenging words. We used a slightly adapted / jazzed up version of Slane (Lord of all hopefulness).
There should be some Iona material ... I'll have a look.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

tree hugger hymns

Post by organist »

I'd like to start a society for the defence of hymn tunes! Slane should be in 3/4 time - it is horrid messed up in any other metre. I blame Songs of Praise. OK I know it's a folk tune and if you were on Iona you'd make it sound new. But weighty percussion working against the metre of the words - no thanks! At summer school we belted out "Lobe den herren" at a lively pace and it just about worked although it was hard to get all those words out in time! And the pitch was a tad high too for early in the morning. :o
oopsorganist

thread

Post by oopsorganist »

"God in His love for us" is in Come and Praise with its own tune so no need for alarm Organist. I quite like that one . There is a Christian eco website with suggested hymns, some of them predictable like "Oh Lord all the World Belongs to You", but I want something, just one thing, different and new to sort of mark it out. And maybe some tin cans and plastic bottles instead of flowers. That'll surprise 'em. On the aforementioned site there is a hymn to the tune of "For all the Saints". with an Eco theme but my hubbie is making fun of it.

Oh, now I've upset Organist again!

And there is "Let us Step Softly" which I love but it goes into e flat minor in the second verse and that is not possible on the guitar.
uh oh!