I want to sing!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

anne sheila
Parish / Diocese: Liverpool archdiocese

I want to sing!

Post by anne sheila »

Yes, I want to sing - I have sung with two entirely different 'choirs' at different churches - one (organ) 3/4 part setting - the other church (electric guitar) and everyone sung same part.
At both churches the choirmasters were - shall I say temperamental and at one church the choir was disbanded suddenly without notice on the Sunday night and at the other church - people just didn't turn up for mass because they were treated appallingly - numbers dwindled away slowly but steadily until I was the last one left - and I wasn't ready to sing solo throughout the mass.

I know I want to sing for God - sing at mass - sing with others -

I live in the northwest - surrounded by merseyside, manchester, cheshire and lancashire.

I would love to sing , record and let proceeds go to charity etc
anne sheila
Crumhorn

Post by Crumhorn »

I'm sorry no one has yet replied to you, and wish we could help -- but we're down in East Anglia! It sounds as though you've had a perfectly awful time (not unusual for a church musician, alas), and my heart really does go out to you.

Come on, SSG, let's give a hand here!

In the mean time our prayers are certainly with you -- and we wish you all the very best in your search for a music-friendly parish!
Crumhorn
(Finding new uses for wonderful old ideas!)
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Yes indeed.

We're in deepest, darkest South Wales. If, for whatever reason, you find yourself sojourning in these parts, P.M. me immediately.

Gwyn.
oopsorganist

thread

Post by oopsorganist »

yep, come to Yorkshire, we need you...

or a project for you! Why don't you make a tape of acclamations, psalms, Glorias and other bits for the Mass which parishes can use to train themselves up a bit. I sometimes in desperation with time running against me record bits for people to play in the car ... and would gladly pay for a tape or CD that did the work for me. Plus which I sing abominable. Why not do Christmas from the CFE or HON or Laudate (which I don't have) or some readily available resource, or what about an Eco friendly Harvest Festival. Or a selection of Glorias? There's work to be done!
uh oh!
anne sheila

Post by anne sheila »

I would lurve to tape/record hymns/worship music - but then - I am not an instrumentalist and would need music to accompany me! It is also nice to sing with another singer to harmonize etc.

I have been wondering where do I exactly fit in - I want to take my music seriously - I want to praise God - I even thought about joining a choral society type of choir (I went for singing lessons as a teenager because my mum thought it would be beneficial for asthma - and it was) .... but no, I want to concentrate on God.

Yes, I would also love to record music for charity and fund raising - especially SPUC, priest training, ETC.
anne sheila
sidvicius

Post by sidvicius »

What better place to start than with the Psalms? If you are in church and still in the same situation (I see this thread is revived from last year) no-one can 'stop' you doing anything without good reason, and accompaniment, while sometime useful, isn't always a necessity, especially if your voice is good. Spoken psalms always bother me because most readers I've heard don't know how to read poetry aloud, and they're meant to be sung if possible.

There's a real art to being able to sing unaccompanied. I expect you may be nervous about being seen as suddenly 'in charge of music', but the answer to this is a polite 'no'. You don't have to organise anything else - just do the psalm. Consider other stuff only when you feel ready.

If you want to do some recordings, have you thought about advertising locally to join/form a band? Should be a few christian bands in the lively Northwest. They may be even more interested if you have written some of your own material. Pray for it and watch what happens.
anne sheila

Hello again!

Post by anne sheila »

Thanks to everyone to sent messages - private and otherwise.

I am joining a Church Choir - thanks to the wonders of science - this forum - I was contacted by a person who took a risk and invited me to join.

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless

P.S. I may even have an opportunity to sing early/baroque music with another singer so that is another ambition nearly fulfilled.
anne sheila
anne sheila

Re: I want to sing!

Post by anne sheila »

Hi there,
The Priory Choir I joined will 'rest' during the summer months

I am looking for ATB singers, early music instrumentalists to join and sing for friendship and to practice early music - praising God of course.

My parish comes under Liverpool Archidocese, but I live in Lancashire area!
anne sheila