memorial acclamations

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

memorial acclamations

Post by oopsorganist »

Well

we can manage a Great Amen and an Alleluia. We can do four Holy Holies but that includes 664 663 and 666 (HON). We even know 2 Glorias. But we have never got to grips with the Memorial Acclamations. We tried to get into the Gathering Mass settings but they are too like to Holy Holy and rather long. What would be standard and a good thing to learn. It seems defeatist to use the 664 663 666 tunes and just plod into them .... and I'm worried that we will sing the wrong one as they vary .... any suggestions out there?
uh oh!
Scholastica

Memorial Acclamations

Post by Scholastica »

Why not learn the Schubert German Mass? Easy and melodic for congregation - and a simple Memorial Acclamation: "Christ has died".
There are also some simple Mass Settings by Dom Alan Rees.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

As our parish uses the Farnworth Mass booklets for each Sunday, the congregation knows which of the four acclamations it will be, and I have composed melodies for all four, using straight words, -I think it makes life easier if we don't paraphrase. Sometimes we sing the acclamation twice, or rather, choir sings first, and congregation repeats, and we really need some new tunes, but pm me if you'd like to try the ones I have.
V
oopsorganist

acclamations

Post by oopsorganist »

Thanks all, for all the help.
uh oh!
oopsorganist

acclamations

Post by oopsorganist »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
uh oh!
asb

Post by asb »

What about the Missal Tones? Does anyone use them? All 4 acclamations are there plus English settings of much of the ordinary...but not the Gloria. Why......? (Not in mine anyway......)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

We have a mass with gregorian chant once a month in my parish and I started off with the simple antiphons out of the missal. Admittedly, I did get some criticism on this site for daring to suggest that they be used. Nevertheless, their style was in keeping with the other music used in the Mass.
Yes, tones for the other parts of the mass are there - generally plagarised from their Gregorian equivalent. However, as you probably know, there was no equivalent of the memorial acclamation so the latin version - Mortem tuam - has been based on the Good Friday antiphon 'Crucem tuam'.
I suppose there's no setting for the Gloria in the missal because it was too difficult to modify one of the gregorian settings to the vernacular. Someone will, no doubt, furnish us with the real reason why though.