Top ten hymns

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: Top Ten Hymns

Post by presbyter »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:we have two choirs whose repertoires are quite different.

Sigh - sounds as if this could be a parish in fragmentation - a Radio 1 Mass, a radio 2 mass, a radio 3 Mass, a radio 4 Mass for those who don't like any music - and a Radio 5 celebration where most go and play football instead of going to Mass. Don't you think that music should unite a community rather than divide it? Another thread perhaps.....?
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

Presbyter.

It may not be fragmentation as such but use of the available resources. In our parish I lead the Music Group at 9 am on 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month (plus major feast and weekend when the 1st Communion children attend en-masse), the remaining 9 am Masses have a Cantor (plus organist if available). I attend the 11 am Mass every week as Cantor/choir Member. We have a major part of our repertoire that is common but there are some things that are fine played on the Organ but sound dreadful with guitars and vice versa. Consequently the hymns that are most popular at one of the Masses may not get sung at all at the other one. I haven't submitted my list as I only have records for the Music Group Masses which would not be an entirely accurate reflection of the Parish music.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Presbyter wrote:Sigh - sounds as if this could be a parish in fragmentation.......Don't you think that music should unite a community rather than divide it?

Couldn't agree more - and it's not for lack of trying, but there needs to be cooperation on both sides, and there ain't! :(

TT
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Sorry! That sounded negative. One choir has tried to work with the other, but the other thinks our styles are not similar enough. And having two choirs does enable us to support the worship at more than one Sunday Mass so there are benefits.

TT
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:One choir has tried to work with the other, but the other thinks our styles are not similar enough.

What do you think, TT: is the one choir right in suggesting that musically the two are poles apart?
Perhaps the real problem isn't a clash of musical styles at all...

Have you personally tried singing in the 'other' choir recently?
Perhaps if the choir that tries to work with the other all turned up to sing in the other choir so that there was only one choir...

two choirs... enable us to support the worship at more than one Sunday Mass

An important consideration - and linking back to Musicus' thread on being indispensible -the available ministers must spread themselves to cover ministring(?) all masses, and there are only so many workers to do it!

As to working together, sometimes change can only come from within. 8)
Benevenio.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Benevenio wrote:is the one choir right in suggesting that musically the two are poles apart?

There is a lot of overlap in what we sing in terms of the more traditional stuff. I would say that our styles are quite different but there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't sing together. And I haven't personally tried recently, no. But I have been rebuffed in the past and it's hard to keep standing up, only to be knocked down again. P'rahps when I've summoned up a bit more energy, I'll try again.....

Benevenio wrote:As to working together, sometimes change can only come from within.

From within me, do you mean? Or from within each of us? It would have to be from within everyone involved - everyone would have to be willing to give it a chance, even if they are sceptical. That comes back to co-operation on both sides, I think.

TT
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Yes, it is hard to stand up when we've been knocked down, and you do have my sympathy on that - and a cyber-helping hand to lift you on your feet... now where's the emoticon for that when you need one?!

Change from within...
within you, perhaps... within others perhaps...
What is the real problem? Why is singing together so important?

Final question - is your own frustration at the situation getting in the way of you letting them minister to you?
Benevenio.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

I should like the two choirs to sing together when there are opportunities to do so, instead of finding excuses not to. If I'm honest, I suppose it's become important to me simply because there is a reluctance by some of those involved to do so. Wrong reason, I know. There are pros and cons to having two choirs and some of the cons are the perceived competition between the choirs, and the comparisons that are inevitibly made. If we were to join forces, this would wipe some of these out.

I suppose I need to accept that they choose not to join forces; that is their prerogative.

In answer to your final question, Benevenio, until a week or so ago, I'd have said yes: my frustration was preventing me from allowing them to minister to me. Now, thanks to the discussions there have been on the forum, I am so much more focused on the Mass and what is happening that I felt truly supported by the other choir the last time they sang. I felt none of the frustration that I have felt in the past. So, whilst the frustration is still there to some extent when I think about it, I am able to leave it at the door when I go into Mass.

I suppose the next step is to work on the acceptance bit, so I don't feel the frustration at all!

TT
musicus

Post by musicus »

Thank you for all your contributions, everyone - especially those that were on-topic!

As promised, I shall now close this thread. (Though I may post a little analysis in due course.)

M