Responsorial Psalm Collections

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

asb

Responsorial Psalm Collections

Post by asb »

We have been using the McCrimmon Responsorial psalter for many years, and are rather short of copies - some having "walked" or been borrowed by deputy organists and never returned, etc.

Before ordering replacement copies, I was wondering if anyone uses any different collections that might be worth looking at? I see, for example, that Mayhew have a collection compiled by Colin Mawby, about which I know nothing.......

We are fairly "traditional", organ accompaniment and no music group, so the McCrimmon books have served well, although I do have a set of the OCP Psalms For Sundays, some of which we use, and we do the odd Gelineau setting.

Any thoughts welcome!
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Psalite has some useful offerings. Haas and Haugen have a couple of collections of psalms published by GIA (Psalms for the Church Year vols 1 & 2) I find the best bet is to get as much material as possible and mix and match. The McCrimmon book is my 'default' one though.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Same here. McCrimmon or home-grown. Bernadette Farrell has composed some nice ones many of which are in Laudate, CHforE and other sources.

It's worth at least occasionally composing your own. The advantages include: matching the setting to local musical resources, the opportunity to position them appropriately along the simple/elaborate continuum.