Crucifixion (John Stainer)

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Crucifixion (John Stainer)

Post by Gwyn »

Can anyone recommend a recording of "The Crucifixion" by Stainer that is unabridged? Most recordings have verses cut from the hymns, or hymns completely ommitted, or the lengthy but delicious organ introduction to the "Procession to Calvary" mercilessly chopped.

Thanks in advance brethren. :)
musicus

Post by musicus »

I did a quick Internet search, and Barry Rose's Guildford recording appears to be complete. You can read the very full review at http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2003/Jun03/STAINER_crucifix.htm. However, Rose has orchestrated the work! I don't have the disc, but it does sound as though it has been done extremely well, and I am tempted to buy it myself.

M
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Crucifixion

Post by organist »

I've given in this year and agreed to conduct this work on Good Friday evening. I like Stanford's comment to the question "What do you think of Stainer's Crucifixion"?
"I think it's a good idea!" :lol:
Still I'll give it all the love and care it so badly needs!
asb

Post by asb »

musicus wrote:I did a quick Internet search, and Barry Rose's Guildford recording appears to be complete. You can read the very full review at [url]
M

I have an old LP of Barry Rose's Guildford recording, but have been unable to play it for years not having a turntable anymore. I think you'll find that the intro to The Processin to Calvary is cut, and that one of the hymns is omitted.

It's an excellent reading of the work though.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

asb wrote: but have been unable to play it for years not having a turntable anymore.

I went to visit my old organ teacher last week (now PP somewhere in lincolnshire). Not only does he have a turntable, but its wind up and attached to a huge gramophone horn- no electrics to be seen! Half expected to see a stack of wax cylinders lurking in a corner somewhere!
asb

Post by asb »

Think that would wreck my "33" !