Confirmation

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Confirmation

Post by oopsorganist »

Happy Christmas!

It never ends does it? I understand we will be having a Service of the Word instead of a Mass for our Confirmation ceremony this year. Not sure what this entails. We are meeting on Thursday to begin planning this and I am wondering how this need to be musicked up? Any ideas?
uh oh!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Dear Oops

What it should mean is that you will have a Confirmation without the Liturgy of Eucharist including the Commonion Rite. So the Confirmation will include the usual Introductory Rites, Liturgy of the Word and then Rite of Confirmation ending, I guess, with Blessing after Prayers of the Faithful. So the usual places to be musicked.

Many dioceses, either through their bishop's office or liturgy commission, have a guide to preparing Confirmation liturgies. You may find that you have one available to help you.

Gabriel
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

Just wondering, oops... what's the thinking behind not having Mass? I mean, there should be a bishop and probably at least one priest in the building; but there may be reasons - has anything been said? I'm only asking out of nosiness! :)
oopsorganist

Confirmation

Post by oopsorganist »

Dear Pirate

Not sure about the thinking but all the Confirmations in our Diocese are Services of the Word or Words and I have looked this up on line...just got an Irish website which I scanned. It said something about special provision for Service of the Word. I suppose it is like when you have a Baptism or Wedding and do not have a Mass, although it does seem less of a good deal! I have been in touch with the bods and it will be based on the readings of the day. This is as much as I know and I am not sure how long it will take or anything. I will just look bewildered and I do this rather well, hence people will try to sing or whatever to cover up my ineptitude. Perhaps the Bishop is very busy or cannot stand any more of Mass 664.
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Confirmation

Post by oopsorganist »

Well that solves that mystery

It is a Service of the Word when there are many candidates for the Sacrament,with a Mass it would take too long. It is a Mass when there are less than 50 to do as a job lot. There you go, all sorted!
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

During a run through for the service today I noticed that Father looked very smart in his white dress and red scarf...... did the Bishop secretly plan this year as Service of the Words so that the ceremonial robes were in England colours..... different colour robes for a Mass you see.....
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Yes

There they all were wearing white with red stripes en masse looking like they were fully supporting England..... very topical. Nice one Leeds Diocese.
uh oh!