Triduum Countdown

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Merseysider

Triduum Countdown

Post by Merseysider »

To all,

Hope everything goes well over the next three days. We've all put in an awful lot of work over the last couple of weeks – time to relax and enjoy (says he who will be a gibbering wreck from 7pm this evening!).

From today to Sunday morning we'll sing 50 pieces of music – some people will singing quite a bit more. That's an awful lot of dots. And I still haven't finished brass parts for Sunday – thankfully they're all pros who can sightread.

I wonder what will happen this year? Last year the congregation gathered around an extinguished paschal fire – "Someone had already lit it to I put it out". On Maundy Thursday 2004 the assembly knelt in prayer before an empty tabernacle – "Father left it open so I brought him in here and locked him in the safe". Just last Sunday the congregation managed to process in two different directions.

Whatever. Enjoy.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

This year I promised myself that all D.T.P.ing printing, stapling and folding would be done and dusted well before Spy Wednesday in order that the Triduum be free of any of that. We've succeeded too - more or less.

Hapus Pasg.

Gwyn.
Sunny Abergavenny where the sun has shone (albeit somewhat grudgingly once or twice) on every Procession of Palms in the past 25 years.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Gwyn wrote:This year I promised myself.....

Me too! And yet I'm just now finishing off the words and music booklet for the congregation for tonight. Then I need to photocopy it and fold it. If I go straight to church from work, I should just about make it for the start of Mass. :oops: The best laid plans and all that...
TT
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Well that's Act I done. But looks like we're suffering from the great bank holiday getaway mentioned on the news earlier. Plus the fact that there was a match on.

Around 50 people at Mass of the Lord's Supper – 200+ for the last two years.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Merseysider wrote: But looks like we're suffering from the great bank holiday getaway mentioned on the news earlier.

Same here- just less than 100. Act 1 went OK though, only 3 more to go (if you count Sunday morning too!)
oopsorganist

countdown

Post by oopsorganist »

Oh thank goodness for that,

I did think it looked a bit thin tonight. I doubt there were 50 in the church. I thought it might have been something I said. I am glad that they have all gone on holiday. They missed a very good Great Amen.

The new Mass sheet was a bit different to last years.

Will it be quiet for the Vigil? I do hope so because I am beginning to wonder if trying to sing all 7 Psalms was a good project to do. I don't mind if there are only a few old ladies there to hear us.

I have got a good group together this year. Three guitars and a recorder. Two or three to sing. Ex song birds are still sulking and will not sing at all. One of the guitars is still learning and I was not sure what he was playing tonight. Not the same chords as I was playing. Father started "Tantum Ergo" before the organ.... I could have gone home sooner if I had known he was going to do that!

It just can't be worse than last year that's for sure. At least we have some singing from the congregation which is a bit of a miracle after all these years.
uh oh!
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Our turnout was about the same as most years - there were 35 in, against an average Sunday in the mid 60s. I'm sure our unaccompanied plainchant Ubi Caritas ended up a couple of semitones lower than we started.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

We usually have 350+ on Good Friday – I'll be counting.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Just back from our Vigil. It all went very well, but there was an unwittingly tragi-comic moment at the start. We had all gathered outside around the fire and were awaiting the arrival of our PP. It was quite a long wait, so a prayerful silence had developed. Eventually, he could be heard (though not yet seen) making his way round the outside of the church and sonorously breaking the expectant hush with 'Somebody please go and turn the lights off in the gents' loo'. :roll:
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
johnmac
Parish / Diocese: WESTMINSTER

Post by johnmac »

Hi all,

Well we've finished the first three acts, and it didn't go too badly! 92 pieces of music afterwards and I think everyone's a bit exhausted.

What a coincidence - the same thing happened to us this evening with our PP decided at the last minute to process around the Church, then gather everyone outside after we'd all been sitting in church since 7.30 p.m.!!!

Attendance was good, with our biggest choir/instrumental ensemble yet of about 40 of us between the services (55 on thursday!!), and the attendance remained as usual!!! (300/400/300)

First time ever that I've also had everything ready DTP wise - Thursday was ready on Sun, Friday's on Tuesday, etc - and I'm all ready for both masses tomorrow! Just looking forward to a couple of days in the sun now, then First Holy Communions next week, a performance of Joseph in the middle of may, confirmation's . . . and oh, the cardinal is coming to us atthe beginning of july!!!! enough for anyone!!!!!

Happy Easter!
oopsorganist

triduum countdown

Post by oopsorganist »

ooo johnmac

What a lot of people!

We had a great turn out this morning with the church quite full. I am glad I did not know this til the end. I played "Battle is O'er" really badly and would have been embarrassed if I had known anyone was there apart from my own family.

It has gone OK with the Psalms sung for the first time ever in my time at this church.

Father forgot to say the Gloria this morning. Announced the Gospel of Luke, hesitated, added "and John" and yesterday at the end of the Vigil Mass wished us a sincere "Happy Christmas" which has caused endless joy and amusement to the parish as everyone who left this morning shook his hand and wished him "Happy Christmas" in return.

Most people I have talked to have said that the music was very good/ wonderful. It wasn't but it was sincere and lively. We astounded all with Holy Thursday's "We Shall Glory" by Paul Wellicome. (Thanks to Paul Wellicome) and by singing all the Psalms! The most improvement has come by introducing a little new material before the service and indicating that we expect people to try to sing it. And they do. So we have to go for this as our way forward and who knows, we may be able to learn some new Liturgical bits now.

Happy Christmas to you all and thanks for all advice and support through the year.
uh oh!