children's lectionary

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

children's lectionary

Post by docmattc »

When the children go out for the children's liturgy, they always come forward and receive a book from the PP. This book, I've always assumed was either a children's lectionary or a bible.
I discovered this morning that in fact it is lectionary III (votive masses, funerals weddings etc) which is never used (obviously) in the kids liturgy but merely taken down and then brought back. He could just as meaningfully present then with a cabbage to take to their liturgy.

Surely there are Children's lectionaries available?
asb

Post by asb »

Yes, there are Children'd Lectionaries available.

Yours is not a unique problem - our lot frequently take The Book Of Blessings, and on at least one occasion the instruction book for the centra;l heating boiler. Honest :!:
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

Well at least we're not the only place misunderstanding the purpose of this symbol! I mentioned this bizarre practice on Sunday evening at Stations to one of the children's liturgy leaders, who understood this was less than ideal but said "its only symbolic"

But of course a symbol is only symbolic if it points to something beyond itself. A meaningless symbol is not a symbol for a start and probably detracts from the liturgy.

For ages we've been discussing why the children are reluctant to come to the front to receive the book but rush straight to the back of church to go off to their liturgy. I suspect this explains it to a degree- they can't see the point in collecting something which plays no part in proceedings.
If this book was taken in procession with the kids, placed reverently as the focal point of the liturgy (candles?) and from which the Gospel was read, the kids would clamour to have the honour of carrying it.

Anyone know where children's lectionaries are available from?
Liturgical Press do a set, but I suspect these are American translations. Do we have an approved children's text? I'm not well versed in the rubrics for children.
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Had a look inside the green book the children take out last Sunday and found it was ... a lectionary with readings suitable for (older) children.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Our children yesterday took out a book of the readings for young children published by Geoffrey Chapman.
They assemble in the aisle and say,'May the word of the Lord be with you in here.' We respond,'And may the word of the Lord be with you out there.'

I had a peek at the cover as I passed the altar, but am not sure if that is the actual title. Worth checking, I would think,
V
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

dunstan wrote:Had a look inside the green book the children take out last Sunday and found it was ... a lectionary with readings suitable for (older) children.

You mean it didn't say:
While pressing and holding in the valve knob (in "PILOT" position), press the red piezo button repeatedly (once per second) until the pilot ignites. If the pilot does not light, wait 5 minutes and try again. Once the pilot is lit, continue to hold the valve knob in for 30 seconds, then slowly release. :lol:

Have been in touch with Martin Foster at the Liturgy Office and it seems we don't have an approved Children's Lectionary partly as the status of the children celebrating the Liturgy of the Word separately on a routine basis is a bit woolly, but that's an new topic.

I will try and suggest that it would improve things if the children are presented with a book which is relevant and from which the Word is proclaimed and that the presentation is not done done like the PP is handing over an object emitting an offensive smell!
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

So when do the children leave?

Ours mostly go out almost immediately – while the assembly sings the most suitable verse of the gathering song.

Recently a visiting priest sent them out after the penitential rite so we pounded into the Gloria which seemed OK.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Similar here! After the Gathering/Entrance Song off they jolly well go. They return during the Offertory, rejoining their families.

There used to be this peculiar ritual where they returned with the Offertory Procession, stood in a row before the congregation with their backs to the altar. There they (or rather the adults who led them) would sing a badly rehearsed song, or a glory-seeking catechist would yabber inaudibly, saying what they'd been doing. Thanks be to God this has been discontinued since the Liturgy of The Word had finished a bit ago.
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

They leave after the greeting and PP introduction to the Mass before the penitential rite. He asks them to come forward, most bolt for the back and he hands the redundant lectionary to a child who has come forward (often only 1 or two out of perhaps 20), while they are pounding down the stairs at the back we get on with the Pen Rite. They return around the prep of gifts (or sometimes later if a miscalculation, has been know to be during Sanctus)

Have this as an agenda item for liturgy meeting next monday.

Docmattc (for this week the Swiss branch of SSG)
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Ours leave as we sit down for the first reading and return at the offertory procession - someone nips out at the start of the creed to tip of the CL leader. Seems a pity that many parishes have them miss the opening rite, there's something rather comforting about a small child wandering around the house singing "Glory to God, glory in the highest"
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

children's lectionary

Post by organist »

Especially if it's the Hebridean Gloria, Dunstan and not that horrid Peruvian thing! Loved the bit about the boiler instructions. In the Anglican parish where I play, kids are not seen until communion time. The older ones do come in for the Eucharistic prayer. We then get the important ritual of showing the congregation what we have been doing. We are working on getting this to match the readings of the day and encouraging the kids to show everyone not just the choir. Actually it would be more sensible to do this bit during coffee but I don't suppose we will get that! Oh yes then we need a hymn the children might know at the end which limits choices somewhat as we have that very limited BBC Songs of Praise hymnbook. Still the new group Generations which I started with teh Sunday school leader has learnt some goodies like "There is a longing" (everyone loved it) some Taize, Inwood Communion Song 3 along with such delights as Harvest Samba and a rather sweet song for Remembrance Sunday. Oh yes we have the occasional Family service - don;t like them much! Tends to be LCD stuff! Why can't schools teach kids some decent hymns???
dunstan

Re: children's lectionary

Post by dunstan »

organist wrote: Oh yes then we need a hymn the children might know at the end which limits choices somewhat as we have that very limited BBC Songs of Praise hymnbook.

Alternatively, you could expand the children's repertoire of hymns ... but this subject has been done to death on another thread.