West Gallery Music in Chester

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Merseysider

West Gallery Music in Chester

Post by Merseysider »

Any other early music buffs on here?

The North West Early Music forum is holding a workshop at Christleton, Near Chester on Saturday May 6th – it's a day of 18th century west gallery music but all by north west composers – I hadn't realised there were any – always associated west gallery with Thomas Hardy. Composers include Richard Taylor of Chester, Edward Harwood of Liverpool and Joshua Marsden of Ormskirk.

I'm convinced there's a forgotten repertoire here, some of which could possible find a home in contemporary liturgy.

Instruments welcome but players should be willing to sing too.

If anyone wants further info, please PM or email.

M
ssgcgs

Post by ssgcgs »

I have been asked to publicise a similar event on Sat April 29th in Byfield, Northants. Some details will be found here but no booking form. PM me for a booking form, which must be in no later than 9th April. This event is not connected with SSG.

CG Sec
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

There's quite a lot of West Gallery activity down here in Glos. It tends to come under the general banner of folk and traditional music, though there was a good WG evening for Advent at Prinknash Abbey a year or two ago.

I've also spent a day at workshops with the Melstock Bnad: As merseysider says, it has connections with Thomas Hardy.

There's a WG evening at Postlip Hall, near Cheltenham quite soon if anyone is interested.