Children's Mass

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

asb

Children's Mass

Post by asb »

I offer this as a spin-off from the Primary School's topic.

The Children's Liturgy has recently been revived in my parish, by some hard-working and devoted mums, and they have asked for a "Children's Mass" this coming Sunday, for which they and the children were going to select the hymns. We've ended up with "Give me joy in my heart", "Morning has broken" "Here I am Lord" and "Shine, Jesus, shine" plus a request for the children to be allowed to "read" the psalm and the Gospel Acclamation (aahhrrgh!) and can we not sing the Holy holy etc and just have hymns? It gets better "you seem to have dropped the Alleluia and have started singing something else instead, but Alleluia is much more appropriate at that point.. so they'l say Alleluia"!!

My PP and I have put them right on all counts, but the most worrying thing is that they honestly had no idea why what they were suggesting is wrong. How many more sincere and well-meaningCatechists are there out there who are similarly unaware? This is probably the tip of the iceberg. Not to mention the average person in the pew.......
musicus

Re: Children's Mass

Post by musicus »

asb wrote:My PP and I have put them right on all counts

The parish is lucky to have you, and you are lucky to have a PP who knows what's what and is ready to back you.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog