Lay formation in liturgy

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Lay formation in liturgy

Post by docmattc »

I'm doing a couple of session with our Journey in Faith Group about the structure of the Mass and some of the symbolism. Last night we looked at introductory Rites and Liturgy of the Word. I've just had the following comment from a parishioner:

a parishioner wrote:Liturgy is an area in which your average parishioner feels ignorant, de-authorised and incompetent -
largely because the Church wants to be in total control of it.

I agree with the first half, but not with the second. I'd be interested in comments here.
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Is the average parishioner particularly interested in liturgy?

I spent 14 years as a borough councillor, and quickly learned that the things which seemed so important to those of us with pointy heads were of little interest to the average elector. They were far more interested in the overall picture, and how particular policies affected them

While the parallels are not exact, we need to be aware that this forum is populated by a self selecting population of those who are particularly interested in liturgy. I've not come across parisioners who feel themselves underinformed or disenfranchised from the liturgy. Perhaps they (and I) should feel the former?
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

dunstan wrote: I've not come across parisioners who feel themselves underinformed or disenfranchised from the liturgy.

I have – plenty over the years.

The underinformed bit is often:
Why go to church on Good Friday if it's not a Holy Day of Obligation? (Often followed by, What time is Mass on Good Friday?)
I can't go to communion as I've not been to confession for a week.
I can't go to communion as I'm divorced.
I can't go to communion as I'm gay.
How can Saturday night count for Sunday?
Why won't Father lead the rosary? Can we have it without him?
I was there from the Gospel to the priest's communion so I fulfilled my obligation.
I don't go to the Easter Vigil because it's too long – about three hours!
How can you have Evening Prayer without a priest?

Probably the best was: "And they had the baptism right in the middle of Mass. Fancy hanging out their dirty washing in public like that".

Then there's the disenfranchised types:
Why can't we sing hymns to Our Lady at Mass?
But I like Mass in Latin – why can't I have it?
I won't receive communion from a lay minister.
I won't allow my mother's funeral to be conducted by a deacon.

The former need gentle education. The latter are feeling genuine hurt. We mightn't like their preferences but how can we help them feel included?