Examination of conscience for musicians

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Dot

Examination of conscience for musicians

Post by Dot »

By its very nature, this may not prompt many replies, but it might be of interest. See this link
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

They missed out:

Have I branded as "heretics" those whose tastes in liturgucal music differ from mine?

Have I coveted my neighbour's organ?
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Dunstan said:
Have I branded as "heretics" those whose tastes in liturgucal music differ from mine?

Fantastic! Luvvit-to-death.

My favourite part of Mass is where the celebrant says "Let us call to mind our sins." What a pleasure that is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad,
not screaming terror-striken like the passengers in his car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Gwyn wrote: My favourite part of Mass is where the celebrant says "Let us call to mind our sins." What a pleasure that is.

Well that all depends on the sins....
Dot

Post by Dot »

Perhaps even now a very hot and fiery eternal organ loft is being prepared for you; uncomfortable, maybe, but full of mirth!

Dot
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Gwyn wrote:
My favorite part of Mass is where the celebrant says "Let us call to mind our sins." What a pleasure that is.

Merseysider said:
Well that all depends on the sins....

Indeedy. There's a lot in that 'M'. :wink:

'My favorite part of Mass is where the celebrant says "Let us call to mind our sins." What a pleasurable experience that is. ' Is something that Paul Inwood used to say on his music/liturgy day schools. He was so funny yet educational with his references to bad liturgical practices, "not in our parishes of course, but at our neighboring parish St Judas Iscariot's down the road".

What an inspiration Paul was and is. I was about to to jump the liturgical musical ship in utter lost, misguided despair about fifteen (probably much more) years ago. I was told that he was leading a "Music for Advent day school" in our area organised by Frances Bibey, Alan Rees, et al, and I went grudgingly along. The scales fell about twenty minutes into the morning session. Deo Gratias.

Dot said
Perhaps even now a very hot and fiery eternal organ loft is being prepared for you; uncomfortable, maybe, but full of mirth!

Guffaw.
oopsorganist

examination of conscience for musicians

Post by oopsorganist »

Oo er

When I examine my conscience I find that I will be warm, very warm, eternally. And do you know, that the very thought of eternity spent singing and praising the Lord conjures up such images of spite and vendetta that I am feared of Paradise. How on earth do they choose the hymns in Heaven and how do they get anyone to join in?

From our last music practice,

Two nuns were driving when a vampire appears and flings itself onto the windscreen. The nun driving says, " Quick.... Reverend Mother, show it your cross"
Reverend Mother: "Get off the windscreen right now, you **** ijeet"
uh oh!
contrabordun

Re: examination of conscience for musicians

Post by contrabordun »

oopsorganist wrote:and how do they get anyone to join in?

that's the easy bit. In this week of Christian unity I think we can safely admit that there'll be Methodists.

I'm more worried about the organ situation. Ham-fisting my way through Bach and Widor here below is all very well in the here and now, but it's going to be awfully embarassing when they might be around to hear it. Although presumably there won't be all that many opportunities to play, owing to the vast multitudes of Organists Who Have Gone Before Us. Tricky one that.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

If anyone hands me a harp and a white nightie I'll be off in search of roller boots and a disco ball in The Other Place!
Dot

Post by Dot »

I didn't intend an examination of conscience to steer us towards speculation over our eternal destiny. My fault, through flippant comment made earlier. Perhaps it's better to be making music at Mass with a few wrong motives than not to be making it at all.

dot