Loved it/hated it!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Merseysider wrote:With a bit of luck they will run for weeks!

With a distinct possibility of a transfer to the West End, I'd say.

M.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Merseysider wrote:Suspect that, by then, I will not be up to dancing the sausage conga! (But would like to try!)

Err... Not sure if should mod that or not. :oops:
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

musicus wrote:
Merseysider wrote:Suspect that, by then, I will not be up to dancing the sausage conga! (But would like to try!)

Err... Not sure if should mod that or not. :oops:

The sausage conga is danced using a string of seven giant (representing the seven ages of man) sausages by as many Punchmen as can be summonsed with their respective Punches.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Merseysider wrote:The sausage conga is danced using a string of seven giant (representing the seven ages of man) sausages........

I'd just like to wish Merseysider a happy feast day for one of his churches and wonder if this conga has been approved by the Sacred Congregation for annual use on this day.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

presbyter wrote: I'd just like to wish Merseysider a happy feast day for one of his churches and wonder if this conga has been approved by the Sacred Congregation for annual use on this day.

Thank you for that, Presbyter. In fact I'm not so involved in that one, these days.

The Sausage Conga has been approved by no less an authority than the Punch and Judy College of Professors. Of course, the purist Punch and Judy Fellowship has its reservations but is reasonably happy provided the approporiate colours (red and yellow) and worn. The great feast day, of course, is the (English) birthday of His Impudence, Master Punch, celebrated in this territory on 9th May (or the Sunday nearest thereto).
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Merseysider wrote:The great feast day, of course, is the (English) birthday of His Impudence, Master Punch, celebrated in this territory on 9th May (or the Sunday nearest thereto).
Hey, that's my birthday too.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Old Red Nose can claim 1662.
Are you a tad younger?
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Loved it/hated it

Post by organist »

Getting back to the topic after orgasms and sausage congas :lol: "At the name of Jesus" is a great hymn. I like it to "Evelyns" but the poppy type tune is just about OK. I don't think I know the Walker tune.
"The duteous day now closeth" to that wonderful Bach tune
"Be still my soul" to Finlandia
"O Jesus I have promised" to "Wolvercote" and not the poppy tune
(horrid Patrick Appleford again)
"O thou who camest from above" Come to think of it I like most of Charles Wesley's hymns!
Faure Cantique de Jean Racine. I was at the Methodists for Week of prayer for Christian unity service this morning and, bless her, the leader played lots of music with Latin texts including the Faure and Lux aeterna (based on Barber's Adagio for strings).

Another pet hate
This is the day especially when sung like a football chant

I'm curious again. Kontakion is best unaccompanied - 500 singing with organ balsting away at college Dunstan - bit OTT??? :lol: Not as ITT as Merseysider! :lol: Yes we all love you for it!
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

loved it hated it

Post by organist »

Oops I meant to say organ blasting away and OTT not ITT - sorry! 8)
Merseysider

Re: Loved it/hated it

Post by Merseysider »

organist wrote:Getting back to the topic after orgasms and sausage congas

Some people have more interesting evenings than I...

organist wrote:"Be still my soul" to Finlandia

Oops! Managed to miss that off my funeral list.

organist wrote:Faure Cantique de Jean Racine.

Ah! Wunderbar. Like being smothered with liquid chocolate and....

organist wrote:Barber's Adagio for strings

....being whipped with cream.

organist wrote:Not as OTT as Merseysider!

Moi? Hmph! I'm off now to polish my glitterball ready for tomorrow's choir practice!
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Can I love and hate the same item?
Bring flowers of the rarest!
Loathe it, loathe it, loathe it but...
all those childhood memories of singing it at the tops of our voices in the sunshine and my mother complaining that Denis Smith (not his real name) was chosen to crown Our Lady's statue when he never went to Mass!
And singing Hail Queen of heaven and wondering what a sojourner was, let alone what he was doing in a vale of tears.
Which also reminds me of rehearsing strewing for the Blessed Sacrament: following Mr Grady around the school hall while he held is wallet aloft in lieu of the Blessed Sacrament and we sang "To Jesus' heart all burning" while remembering to walk: step-step-step-step-turn-bow-strew!
And learning Tantum Ergo for the ensuing Benediction and Miss Cassidy reminding us that if we remembered nothing else, the end of the lines was alternately um and i-i-i um i-i. Imagine a whole school hall of infants singing: "Tantum er, la, la, la, la, la, la UM! er, er, er, la, la, la, la i-i-i..."
dunstan

Re: Loved it/hated it

Post by dunstan »

organist wrote:I'm curious again. Kontakion is best unaccompanied - 500 singing with organ balsting away at college Dunstan - bit OTT???
Well, that gets us into the same Holy War as with plainchant as to whether its singing should be accompanied - I have a Kevin Mayhew book which has the same accompaniment as I remember, and it is very much like plainchant accompaniment: predominantly I-IV-V in root position

Merseysider wrote:Old Red Nose can claim 1662.
Are you a tad younger?
Somewhere around 300 years. Still, I'm glad to be in such good company.

Back on topic, "Who is she that stands triumphant?" enjoys both a classic R.R.Terry tune and some magnificent Victorian imagery, not to mention the audacity of having an eight line opening verse comprised of two rhetorical questions.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.