New Year resolutions

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

New Year resolutions

Post by musicus »

My New Year resolutions are:

- typeset and duplicate the weekly service sheet in good time. in case the technology breaks down (again)
- compose more (and not just prior to a Composers' Group meeting)
- improve my organ playing (practise!)

What, if any, are yours?
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
ssgcgs

Post by ssgcgs »

Mine is:

just to let things happen and not to get upset if they don't.

Sounds as if I'm giving up trying? Oh no. I would still urge you to come to meetings if you possibly can, because I can't run them without people being there. See some details of our next workshop/meeting on March 11th (date confirmed) in Wellingborough, Northants here. Further details and confirmed dates and venues for two further meetings to follow shortly.

CG Sec
Do it live at a Composers' Group meeting!
Merseysider

Re: New Year resolutions

Post by Merseysider »

musicus wrote:My New Year resolutions:
- compose more

Mine is to compose less and free my congregation from learning something new every other week!
M
musicus

Post by musicus »

Merseysider wrote:
- compose more

Mine is to compose less and free my congregation from learning something new every other week!
M

Well, I certainly won't be composing (and, by implication, imposing) every week!
blog
musicus

Post by musicus »

3000th post !!!

(Couldn't resist...)
blog
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

musicus wrote:
Merseysider wrote:
- compose more

M

Well, I certainly won't be composing (and, by implication, imposing) every week!

It's something of an addiction – you write a Holy they sing with gusto so you right them another one. Then the parish up the road likes a fraction song so you write them a communion chant. I need therapy – and I know I'm not the only one out there. Own up!
ssgcgs

Post by ssgcgs »

I have the opposite problem. I need a bit of the drug that gave you the addiction, Merseysider. I'm not "flowing" at the moment. Like, you need "Nicorette" and I need nicotine (just an analogy, I do not refer to your smoking habits.......)

What a rubbish analogy - they're both the same drug (before anyone points it out!)

CG Sec
Do it live at a Composers' Group meeting!
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Yes, as a smoker I've never quite understood why they give us nicotine patches to weed us off cigarettes. Sorry, off topice. Anyway, SSGCGS, I think you just have to do it. Andrew Lloyd Webber used to just compose for the sake of it, tucking items away in his bottom drawer (I believe "I don't know how to love him" was originally an unsuccessful song called "How I love the Kansas morning") and Benjamin Britten prepared for his bigger works by writing shorter warm-up pieces first – eg Serenade for tenor, horn and strings. I just keep writing, thinking of the people it's meant for – around one in 10 is presented to the choir, around one in 20 is tried on the congregation and around one in 500 makes it into the parish repertoire. Every now and then I cleanse my hard disk of thousands of awful psalm settings – I dread an unexpected death: there's some pretty grim stuff for people to find!
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Compose less?

Post by VML »

You could always turn of the PC and write it all on manuscript paper: It would slow things down a bit.. :wink: I wish I had your gift!
Merseysider

Re: Compose less?

Post by Merseysider »

VML wrote: I wish I had your gift!

Suspect my congregation would disagree!
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

New Year resolutions

Post by organist »

Be more thankful for the gifts I've been given
Practise more - I'll never get through the works of Bach at this rate! :wink: