Mass settings for Christmas & Easter

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

johnmac
Parish / Diocese: WESTMINSTER

Post by johnmac »

I've been meaning to post something on the forum for months now, but only just gor round to it.

We're a large parish in west london and we've been using Paul Inwood's GATHERING MASS for the last 5 years or so at christmas, easter, pentecost, confirmations and the major fesitivites. However, I'm now looking for something more challenging, but with the same 'uplifting' feel the gathering euch accls have. I've looked at Inwood's COVENTRY acclamations and walker's CLIFTON acclamations but can't make my mind up! I need to start teaching the congregation and choir the new mass in the new year in time for holy week -has anyone got any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

New (to us) Mass settings

Post by VML »

Welcome to the board, johnmac.

The parish used the Coventry Sanctus in the late 80s and early 90s then forgot about it until our daughter asked for it for her wedding this summer, without organ, so we played with flute, violin, sax, and guitar. Used it for Christmas Midnight too, and Clifton used it Christmas morning. I love it and it's not difficult. It's a lovely occasion piece.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Marty Haugen's Mass of Creation is a good one, as is Bernadette Farrell's setting, both in Laudate. We use Liam Lawton's Mass of the Celtic Saints quite a bit. Its very bouncy and our congregation get on very well with it. In advent we used Walker's Mannafest Acclamations (in Music for the Mass 1, and songs of the spirit 3). Its old hat (or even outdated) in many places but was new to the parish and they liked it. I chose it as the text translates 'hosanna' into its original meaning of "come and deliver us" which is appropriate of advent.
Returned to the Gathering Mass Euch Accs at Christmas but did the Coventry Gloria (as we will until ordinary time)

Not sure yet what I'm going to do in Lent, toying with Inwood's setting in Gm sung unaccompanied.
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

We use Alan Smith's Agincourt Acclamations from the SSG's Baptised With Fire collection for Christmas and Easter main celebrations; this Advent, we sang Bernadette Farrell's acclamations (from Celebration for Everyone, but they will be elsewhere too); in Lent we tend to sing my own, unpublished setting (sorry, that's not helpful!)
Benevenio.
musicus

Re: Mass settings for Christmas & Easter

Post by musicus »

johnmac wrote:I've been meaning to post something on the forum for months now, but only just gor round to it.

Welcome aboard, johnmac!

If you (or anyone else) need to know where to get hold of any of this music, just ask.

You can find out about Baptised with Fire and listen to some extracts here. There are some very useful and attractive pieces in this SSG publication.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
asb

Post by asb »

>We use Chris walker's Ferial Mass (No. 11 in MM I) for Lent and Advent. Would work unaccompanied if you prefer it that way.