Nearly there?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

contrabordun

Re: Silent Night

Post by contrabordun »

Merseysider wrote:Surely our work is not about personal preference.

That's a bit on the prim side. Sure it's true up to a point, but equally there are so many ways of doing our stuff - and so much choice of music even in a give genre for a given occasiona - that personal preference is going to figure in the final choice.

That's also true at the level even of which church (or churches) one chooses to attend - I guess a sizeable minority of people attend church in a different parish, for a huge variety of reasons. Same goes for musicians.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

If this is true then I could ditch 50 per cent of the stuff we sing. I can't because there's not just me: there's an assembly too!
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

Alan wrote:I have to go and record some bagpipes on Wednesday (don't ask).

Any advice (technical or otherwise)? :wink:

Sorry, no. I tried mentioning bagpipes to our new PP, but he did not seem too keen on the idea, even when I pointed behind him to the statue of a shepherd playing one in the crib....
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Merseysider wrote:Surely our work is not about personal preference.
... no, but it take a hefty dollop of grace from the Holy Spirit to establish the rapport with the congregation when playing something you loathe. I must admit, I just assume that the congregation share my lack of inspiration w.r.t. Amazing Grace (harmony too static).

I don't see how one can have an assembly unitedly praising God in full voice without being enthused oneself as a starting point?
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

dunstan wrote: I just assume that the congregation share my lack of inspiration w.r.t. Amazing Grace (harmony too static).

I can think of many pieces which should come with a large vomit warning but which our congregation loves – not mentioning them here for fear of causing offence.

If the harmony of Amazing Grace is the one reason you find it uninspiring then change it, reharmonise it, arrange it, add descants, move from block chords to something with arpeggios, dot the rhythm in the right hand (cf Walker's "At the Name of Jesus".
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Nearly there?

Post by organist »

Martin How has written very fine harmonies and extended arrangements for amazing Grace and other songs in "Songs of the Spirit" RSCM. Why are so many hymnbook accompaniments so banal? One year at SSG summer school Richard Jeffrey-Gray showed us how to improve them - repeat this workshop please!