Fraction Rite

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

asb

Fraction Rite

Post by asb »

Having "watched" for some time, I have a question. is there a reason why so many priests (my own included) stand doing nothing, waiting for the Agnus Dei to finish, then, a few moments later, delay the start of the distribution while they further break up the consecrated hosts?
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

To quote GIRM
This invocation [Agnus Dei] accompanies the fraction and, for this reason, may be repeated as many times as necessary until the rite has reached its conclusion, the last time ending with the words dona nobis pacem (grant us peace). (GIRM 2005 #83)

The prime function of the Agnus Dei is to accompany the fraction. It is one of those formulae in the Mass which is there to cover a rite (see GIRM 37b). As such it should neither stop before the rite has ended, or carry on after it. I believe (but I could be wrong) that it was introduced in the 7th century to cover the action of the fraction which would probably have been quite long as the custom of one bread, which needed to be broken for all, was the norm. Unfortunately now the custom is individual hosts with the consistency of polystyrene and the fraction often only consists of the priest halving his large host. In one church where I play this is the case and we do not sing the Agnus Dei. I see no point in prolonging the formula which only needs to cover an action so minimalist as to have almost no remaining symbolism. Of course changing to a non-minimalist fraction would be better, but I can't change everything!

Why your PP waits for the music (or spoken text) which covers the action to conclude before continuing the fraction rite is beyond me. As you say "further break up" I presume he conducts a 'token' fraction during the Agnus Dei.
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

To say nothing about the priests who carefully break a large host into two halves, then eat both halves themselves...

See GIRM 321: (sorry, I still haven't cracked nicely boxed quotes yet)

The meaning of the sign demands that the material used for the Eucharistic Celebration truly have the appearance of food. It is therefore expedient that the Eucharistic bread, even though unleavened and baked in the traditional shape, be made in such a way that the priest at Mass with a congregation is able in practice to break it into parts for distribution to at least some of the faithful. Small hosts are, however, in no way ruled out when the number of those receiving Holy Communion or other pastoral needs require it. The action of the fraction or breaking of bread. which gave its name to the Eucharist in apostolic times, will bring out more clearly the force and importance of the sign of unity of all in the one bread, and of the sign of charity by the fact that the one bread is distributed among the brothers and sisters.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

I believe there are plans to move the Sign of Peace back to an earlier point in the Mass and I, for one, welcome it. Our place is so deliciously friendly that the Pax has become something of a rugby scrum. OK with our regular priest but when we have visitors the Fractio is lost in the general love-in.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Merseysider wrote:I believe there are plans to move the Sign of Peace back to an earlier point in the Mass.

nope
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Matthew 5: 23-24 would suggest that pre-offertory is the point for the Pax.
So if you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

Dunnow whether this is likely to change , I'm sure there are scriptural/traditional reasons why it's where it is.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

presbyter wrote:nope

Ah well!
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Gwyn wrote:Dunnow whether this is likely to change

It's not.

Go to my web site link below.

On the menu - select links

Click the link to Redemptionis Sacramentum

Read paragraph 71 on the Sign of Peace in the Roman Rite
presbyter

Re: Fraction Rite

Post by presbyter »

asb wrote:..... is there a reason why so many priests (my own included) stand doing nothing, waiting for the Agnus Dei to finish, then, a few moments later, delay the start of the distribution while they further break up the consecrated hosts?

lack of ongoing liturgical formation perhaps?
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

asb, have we answered your question?
Welcome to the forum by the way
musicus

Post by musicus »

Yes, welcome indeed asb.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog