liturgy for people with learning disabilities

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

liturgy for people with learning disabilities

Post by pirate »

Someone from our diocesan CCRS course has asked if I know of any liturgical provision for children/adults with learning disabilities. I don't, but does anyone on the Forum?

Pirate
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Try St Joseph's pastoral centre (http://www.stjoseph.org.uk) they might be able to point you in the right direction.
oopsorganist

learning difficulties

Post by oopsorganist »

hi
Faith and Light Group in Leeds have regular services and care homes too. Most important thing is probably that Mass is shared and not isolated for people with Disabilities, not dumbed down but lively. Don't do like the funeral I played for where they forgot to get a signer for the deaf community. It is possible more about acceptance than different Liturgy. People with Learning Difficulties are not the same as children and this is an important point.
uh oh!
Merseysider

Re: learning difficulties

Post by Merseysider »

oopsorganist wrote:People with Learning Difficulties are not the same as children.

No, they're not but we have to be careful. For example, we presume people can read. Not sure what the statistics are on this one but I've recently learned that there are an awful lot of people out there for whom a service sheet or a hymn book mean nothing.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Farrell to the rescue

Post by organist »

Bernadette Farrell has written some lovely music for children with actions using sign language on the CDRom - wouldn;t it be good if more composers produced similar material?