Look at the Words!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Look at the Words!

Post by docmattc »

Sometimes it strikes me that a hymn has a life of its own, which is independent of its lyrics.

For the first time in a very long while I went to morning prayer this Saturday. There were 4 of us, me and three old ladies in hats (as Merseysider would describe them) who informed me that they began on Saturdays with a hymn to Mary. Being the newcomer I felt it inappropriate to stick my oar in so, without an image of Our Lady in sight we stood and sang "as I kneel before you"!

Several years ago I was at a Eucharistic Service which concluded with "Go the Mass is Ended"

Both times I seemed to be the only one who spotted a certain discrepancy between the words and the reality of the occasion!
dunstan

The day thou gavest, Lord, is ended ...

Post by dunstan »

... unfortunately I never get to use one of my favourite hymns because we only ever assemble in the mornings.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Dot

We thank thee that thy Church unsleeping.......

Post by Dot »

Why not sing vv. 2, 3 and 5 only? It's a 24-hour hymn
Crumhorn

...and looking at it the other way...

Post by Crumhorn »

Yes, it's frightening how people can sing (or fail to sing) a familiar hymn and be completely unaware of the words. On the other hand, it can be nice when they DO notice. It never ceases to amuse me when one of our beloved flock is overheard after Mass saying 'Ooh isn't it funny how that first hymn was just what the Gospel said?' It's nice to know that one's efforts in choosing music are appreciated, even if people seem to think it happens by accident... :wink:
Crumhorn
(Finding new uses for wonderful old ideas!)
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Countdown

Post by docmattc »

I often wonder how people think we pick the music for a Sunday Mass (a process that take me about an hour per Mass, with both SSG and Decani planners). Is it "we haven't had that one for a while" (this is the preferred method in some parishes) or the "Countdown technique" with the box of hymn numbers: 2 from the top and any other 4 please Carol!