Just when you think that things can't get any worse . . .

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Just when you think that things can't get any worse . . .

Post by Gwyn »

The Roman Catholic comprehensive school that serves Abergavenny had a school Mass for the Feast of All Saints.

The responsorial after the first reading was "City of Blinding Light" by U2 played over the sound system. Here's the lyrics:
http://u2.lyrics-songs.com/lyrics/79550/

I suspect use the GIRM to prop open a fire door on hot, sunny days.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: Just when you think that things can't get any worse . .

Post by presbyter »

Oh for heaven's sake!!!!

1) What on earth was the celebrant doing in allowing this in the first place?

2) Call an extraordinary meeting of the govenors (making sure the foundation governors are there in force) and give the Head a rocket!

3) Inform the Archbishop.

A few years ago, we had something similar happen at a secondary school when they had arranged a Mass at which Archbishop Maurice was presiding ...... the after shock of the episcopal atom bomb was felt throughout the diocese and I do believe there has been a change of head.
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Reminds me of a trendy young Jesuit when I was at school in the '70s: for the penitential rite he had us all turn and face the wall while he played George Harrison's "Isn't it a pity ..."
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

...any worse?

Post by VML »

As a junior schools supply teacher, I was called in at short notice on 1st July to a Catholic primary,and told to teach from my own material.

For RE I referred to SS P&P, and the Mass the I assumed the children would have been involved in that week.

They did not know what I was talking about. The school staff felt so stressed they had decided simply to ignore the holy day altogether, though it is a school with a very definite Catholic presence, responses of the Mass clearly sited around the assembly hall, and excellent displays for the children to soak up information.

I hope this was just a glitch, but didn't know what to do about it.
V.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Takes me back to those 6th form Masses – the 12 of us who attended all played guitars and strummed along to Streets of London, I Am An Island and Bridge Over Troubled Water. Sick bags were available at strategic points!
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

what does this tell us

Post by docmattc »

I guess what this indicates is a need for, as Presbyter has said in another thread, formation formation formation!
I wouldn't knock our teachers one bit, especially as I'm the only member of my family who isn't a teacher. Its an incredibly tough job with lots of pressure and for a Catholic school to fit in all the 'extra' stuff that a state school does not do must be even harder. With all the pressures of national curriculum, ofsted etc, liturgical formation must be low on the list of priorities. As we all know good liturgy takes much time and energy, and these are at a premium in schools.

The fault maybe lies with our dioceses and the lack of liturgical training available too. Those planning school liturgies do so with the very best intent and following what they have experienced previously, or think might improve things, being unaware of liturgical norms.

Unfortunately, some of the worst liturgies I have been to have been planned by Catholic schools, Prayers of the Faithful for instance that all begin "Dear Lord...", even to the point of "Dear Lord, let us ask Mary our mother..."! Frequently a 4 hymn sandwich too.
School Masses are like this because this is what those planning experienced when they were at school, and often still experience in their parishes. The problem not only exists, but it perpetuates itself therefore.

For many years I worked with the Catholic Chaplaincy at a university, and one of the hardest things to do at the start of the year was to teach the new intake of musicians good liturgical practice, as I had to be taught when I arrived as an undergrad with the Israeli Mass the norm at home (it still is!), In many cases we had to unteach the bizarre practices they came to us with, both from their schools and parishes

We need to break the cycle with decent formation for school liturgists, (including the children) but how in profession that is bogged down with paperwork and needless admin? Few teachers have time to read the documents, or keep abreast of the latest liturgical music available. Criticising current practice will only alienate, but leading by example is difficult in a school situation unless you work in the school.

As we have said many times on this board, good liturgy is about engaging the congregation, not doggedly following the rules. Going back to the original post, I have nothing against using popular music in a service (though NOT to replace the psalm) if it achieves this aim of engagement. That said there is a fine line between this and trivialising the Mass with it, as I was not in Abergavenny I can't say which side of the line U2 fell.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

There's also the fact that many pupils and teachers are not practising (hate that word, but you know what I mean). The fact that any liturgy happens in school is quite something. Many (wouldn't like to guess the percentage) Catholic schools are not what they were in my day. (And now I'm beginning to sound like an old git!)