Entrance Procession

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Merseysider

Entrance Procession

Post by Merseysider »

Last night I was at a Mass to celebrate the 40th and 50th jubilees of two of our local religious. As they are both well known in the area the church was packed and the atmosphere was celebratory. Children from the local primary school were decked out in streamers to lead a rather ornate offertory procession and musicians came together from all the local parishes. Warm-up with the congregation went particularly well – largely due to the large gathering of rather enthusiastic nuns who sat together and seemed anxious to sing every note I could throw at them.

And then the bell rang…

And we all stood and sang "Sing of the Lord's Goodness" as a procession of servers, several priests and a bishop solemnly processed around the church. And I couldn't help asking myself: "What's all this about?"

The procession formalises our gathering – which the GIRM describes as a rite – but is it any more than a relic from days gone by?

Have any parishes abandoned the entrance procession?

Is there anywhere where the celebrant is among the people as they gather and then leads them into worship?

Is any parish handling the gathering in a different way?

Is the real gathering, the time me meet each other as we stream in from the car park and the bus stop?
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Merseysider asked:
Is there anywhere where the celebrant is among the people as they gather and then leads them into worship?

As I understand, this was one of the proposals for the revised English language Missal. It went on the growing pile of rejected options.

Sing of the Lord's Goodness is perhaps not the best choice when it comes to Entrance/Gathering Song because of its 5/4 time singature. The altar party were probably too preoccupied concentrating on keeping in step to pay any heed to praising him with his music.

Worth a try though. Sounds to have been a good celebration. Well done, M.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

I wish my PP was sufficiently musical to even consider singing in time let alone walking in step, 5/4 or not!

When I was a student we had Mass in one of the halls of residence, there were maybe 70-100 present and we gathered in a lively way (ie lots of chatter with folks we hadn't seen for a week or so, not pious kneeling). The chaplain often would stand at the front, call us to order and lead us in a prayer before the opening hymn, during which he would stand at the front and vest. When we had finished singing he was there ready to start.
There was never any procession, although occasionally he would vest at the back and walk up the room.
sidvicius

A solution?

Post by sidvicius »

I have been at one place where - for one season only (lent I think) - they experimented quite successfully using Taizé chant sung quietly by the choir for about 5mins as the people came in with their usual hubbub. It really was like a 'gathering'. As the volume of the singing was discreetly increased, more congregation quietly joined in, perhaps having realised that "Oh, they're singing the first hymn".
I can't remember if there was any bell rung or whether the priest and servers just walked in at the appropriate time, or how they ended the chant (I think it was faded out with a 'cue' from the MD), but it didn't take long for people to get the idea. Remarkably prayerful too, for those not engaged in conversation with their neighbours.