BBC R4 Daily Service - Singers needed

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Tsume Tsuyu

BBC R4 Daily Service - Singers needed

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Prof. Bill Tamblyn has been asked by Radio 4 to provide the music for the Daily Service during One World Week again this year. Some of you may recall that I posted a notice about this last year.

Many people who took part last year are involved again, but Bill is looking for a few more singers. The broadcasts will be from Didsbury, Manchester during the week commencing 24th October.

It will involve:

 Afternoon rehearsal on Sunday, 23rd October
 Daily Service Broadcast, Monday 24th October
 Daily Service Broadcast, Tuesday 25th October
 Daily Service Broadcast, Wednesday 26th October
(We shall also record Thursday's broadcast on Wednesday)

After we've broadcast and rehearsed for the next day, our time is our own to explore the sights of Manchester, or head off into the Peak District. We are usually free to leave by about 1 pm on the Wednesday.

Last year, those who had to stay over found accommodation at a number of places. There are Travelodges and Travel Inns in the area, many offering discounts. Some people found rented cottages to share. Bill has plenty of information about accommodation.

The music will be varied and colourful, reflecting the 'One World Week' theme. Last year was great fun!

If anyone is interested in taking part, Bill can be contacted by e-mail: Bill.tamblyn@aspects.net. Alternatively, PM me if you'd like any more information. Please note that Bill would like final numbers as soon as possible.
excathedra

Post by excathedra »

I'll be there (God willing).

Having done one of these before with Bill, let me encourage others to come along. It's hard work, but very rewarding.

X
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

excathedra wrote: It's hard work, but very rewarding.

That's right. I have to confess, though, that the hardest part for me last year was making it to the morning rehearsals for 7 am! :shock:
TT
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:...making it to the morning rehearsals for 7 am!

Steady - you'll put people off! Rehearsals were at 8.15. Haven't seen this year's timetable, but I don't suppose Bill will want to make it earlier this year.

I'll be there, and I'm looking forward to it very much.

M.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

You'll be wasted there, mcb. Remember, some of us heard your excellent rendition of "For the longest time" at summer school. Can't we find you a slot on Radio 2?
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Nah, we were merely the warm-up act for the kazoo all-stars.

M.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

If only we'd had a clapometer!
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

mcb wrote: Rehearsals were at 8.15.

Were they really? It felt much earlier! I think I must be getting confused with Morning Prayer at Summer School, or maybe another broadcast with Bill in Birmingham when we definitely met at some ridiculously early hour.

Oh well then, if we don't start until 8.15 I can have a lie in! :D
TT
excathedra

Post by excathedra »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:I think I must be getting confused with Morning Prayer at Summer School, or maybe another broadcast with Bill in Birmingham when we definitely met at some ridiculously early hour.

You're thinking of the Birmingham one, which is the one I was at. I remember how we all trooped across the city centre for breakfast after one session. :roll: