Holy Week concerts

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

percypig

Holy Week concerts

Post by percypig »

Hello all.

Does anyone know if there are any general regulations governing how Catholic churches can be used as venues for music concerts? Can only sacred music be performed? Are there any days that are off-limits? Are such decisions purely at the discretion of the parish priest?

Specifically, could a Passion-themed work such as Haydn's "Seven Last Words of Christ" with chorus, soloists and orchestra be performed on Good Friday evening? I know we don't use instruments in the Good Friday service and the church is left in silence.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
percypig
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

I'm not aware of regulations detailing use of churches for concerts. The Sistine Chapel has been used for concerts so there can't be a general ban.
We have concerts occasionally in our church and our main criterion is that the content is sympathetic to the nature of the building (so Def Leppard wouldn't be invited!). I guess we'd also say sympathetic to the time of year- I'd be uncomfortable with 'The Messiah' in Holy Week because of the Alleluia Chorus and following pieces 'jumping the gun'.
I would have no problem with a concert such as you suggest on Good Friday- its highly appropriate for the day and could be seen as a 'devotional' (although you probably wouldn't advertise it as such!) which the church encourages and would bring in people who wouldn't normally come into you (or any) church. Care needs to be taken that the concert is not seen as greater in importance than the Good Friday Liturgy however. (see Sacrosanctum Concillium n 13).
As this is not a liturgy, the ban on instruments need not apply and perhaps the sanctuary could be arranged to give a 'Good Friday' back drop to the concert, for instance a bare altar with just a cross stood in front of it and a candle either side.
With a visual backdrop to compliment music which is ideal for the day this could be a particularly poignant end to Good Friday. I'd say go for it.

Off topic, but on the subject of the Good Friday no instruments rule, this is great if it enhances the service, but if your congregation can't sing unaccompanied without falling to bits (ie not using instruments detracts from the service) then I wouldn't hesitate to use accompaniment to keep the service going- No big fanfares, but perhaps just a single diapason on the organ.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

I forgot to say, I don't know if technically there are issues with entertainments licenses for such things. You might want to check, or you might decide ignorance is bliss!