Advent Wreath

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Advent Wreath

Post by docmattc »

In our parish we usually light the appropriate candle(s) on the wreath just before the penitential rite (in Advent obviously) to a brief sung refrain. Usually this has been the chorus of 'Christ be our light', but I think its getting a bit tired now as its too often wheeled out. I'd be interested to hear what others do (if anything) for lighting the wreath.

I always have to hide behind the organ on the 4th Sunday when the PP says "we light the four candles"- one year I'm going loose control and shout back "handles for forks!"
musicus

Post by musicus »

Welcome to the forum, docmattc.

Take a look at John Schiavone's Advent Wreath Service, which I have seen used effectively in a couple of parishes. Most of the music is in Laudate, but there are fuller rubrics in the OCP octavo edition, available in the UK from Decani Music.

Musicus
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

I'm about 160 miles from my various resources right now, but off the top of my head I'd suggest something which complements/deepens the action of lighting the candles rather than singing about light.

For these aren't candles-as-symbol-of-Christ, but a way to wind us towards the Nativity and remind us to be ready for when the Lord comes... so my first guess might be something like 'Wait for the Lord'.

Just a thought... one thing I would absolutely love to see is a candle lit on each day of Advent, so the light really grows... a rite for the Sunday candles, but on weekdays being quietly lit before the liturgy... could use tealights for the weekdays and proper candles for Sundays... hmmm...

Still buzzing from Summer School - where are you, everybody??

pirate
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

docmattc you made my day - I can't stop laughing! :D
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

solution found

Post by docmattc »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I had a chat with the PP last night (well, I told him what we were doing and he agreed!) and we will using most of the Schiavone text but not the tune of his Kyrie.
The PP will use the Schiavone prayer to introduce the theme of the day and symbolism of the wreath and then we will sing the chorus Bob Hurd's 'Await the Lord with hope' (Ubi Caritas book) during the lighting of the candle. The congregation will be familiar with this tune as we're doing the whole piece (less v2) on 32nd Sunday being as it fits with the Gospel. (A trick of introducing new things in advance learned from Merseysider at summer school!)
At this point the children leave for their liturgy of the word and we'll continue singing the Berthier kyrie with tropes, using the Schiavone tropes. Whether this is the appropriate time for the childrens liturgy to begin is perhaps off topic. The congregation know the Berthier kyrie and as I'm introducing a new set of Eucharistic acclamations in Advent I don't want to over do new stuff with the Schiavone tune too.

I'll try and stop myself shouting out "handles for forks" and hope people don't think my plans are bill hooks!
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Advent wreath

Post by organist »

In my Anglican parish the new vicar wants to include the children in the wreath lighting. Unfortunately they go straight to Sunday School and do not appear until the end of the service when they show everyone what they have been up to! I did suggest a lighting during the penitential rite and she liked the idea but it's going to be at the end of the service. As we know Christopher Walker's "Stay awake" we will us that. Yes I know it's a Gospel acclamation but I think it might work - we shall see! She has agreed to my introducing Andrew Wright's Advent Alleluias as the gospel acclamation so that's good I think. They have a wonderful feeling of expectation and sound like something else - a carol perhaps? We have a further meeting about Advent music planned for November so suggestins are welcome. :lol: