Mass music for 15th Sunday in Ordinary time - Year A

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Mass music for 15th Sunday in Ordinary time - Year A

Post by Gwyn »

If I'm honest, choosing music for this coming Sunday's Parish Mass is always a challenge. I've been to the Planner but nothing really leaps out at me. I've wondered around "Unless a grain of wheat . . . " but it doesn't capture this particular Gospel message.

"Seed scattered and sown" feels like a possibility, we haven't used it before but it's quite singable and has distinct possibilities as a gathering song.

What have you chosen brethren (and brethrenesses :) )?

Love and prayers,
Gwyn.
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

As I'm a London parish I'm rethinking my plans for this Sunday to include "comforting" music. I don't know yet how many of our parishioners were caught up in today's events but I think it is appropriate to respond in some way.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Even though I'm not in a London parish I am also thinking of comforting music. And I'm wondering if this is one if those Sundays when we need to begin quietly. Need to speak to the PP about how he'll link the Gospel to today's awful events – which he's bound to – and was wondering if this was the right week to introduce Bernadette Farrell's "Let nothing trouble you".

"Unless a grain of wheat" is more than suitable. Although, looking at the second half of the Gospel I'd consider "All that is hidden".
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

In times like this I find it necessary to watch and wait. I think it is useful to have something in your repertoire that speaks at moments like this and have used 'As if you were not there' by John Bell before.

On Sunday I was planning to use Parable - To everything there is a season by M D Ridge on Sunday (Laudate 981) - ' a time for joy, and a time for grieving' seem very true at the moment.

Is the part of the message of the liturgy to ask where do we hear God's word?

Gabriel
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

This Sunday

Post by VML »

I had planned Sing of the Lord's goodness, and In the Lord I'll be ever thankful, both of which I will change. We also have Gather us in,(the lost and forsaken), and Eternal Father strong to save, which aren't too out of place.