Mass setting by Gordon Rock/other Masses

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Mass setting by Gordon Rock/other Masses

Post by oopsorganist »

Thanks to all for your encouragement.

I'm thinking about what to do to make the music better. We sing the mass on Sunday from the HON; the American Mass or the Israeli Mass and the Our Father are known but we only know the Clapping Gloria in the Celebration H. for All (which was introduced through our P. Primary School).

We have tried to make a Gospel Alleluia and Great Amen out of the melodies of the American/Israeli Mass.

We have never sung the Doxology or the MYstery of Faith bit in the Communion Prayer ('scuse if I get these words wrong, I really am an amateur).

At Easter, for the Vigil Mass, we (me and t'other guitar player) played and tried to sing two of the psalms, adaptations by Paul Inwood).

Are we on the right track?

Can anyone suggest a Gloria to learn from HON or CH?

I found a Mass in the old Celebration Hymnal by Gordon Rock and have fallen for it - is this a good idea or a bad idea? It has everything including the Our Father and the Creed.

Thanks for any thoughts.
uh oh!
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: Mass setting by Gordon Rock/other Masses

Post by presbyter »

oopsorganist wrote: I really am an amateur.

Amateurs are people who do what they do out of love - thank you for doing just that.

Which diocese are you in oops?
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

silly me - sorry - should look at your profile - you are in Leeds

Contact Mgr Boylan at your Liturgy Commission. He will, I'm sure, give you all encouragement and help.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Singing the Mass

Post by VML »

The Holy, holy, and Lamb of God from the Gordon Rock Mass are simple and usable, and, I would think, ideal to get your congregation used to singing the straight words, instead of versified ones as in the American and Israeli ones. We have never used the Creed or Our Father from this Mass. I think the Our Father is sung now less than it was 25 years ago when these books were published, i.e. CH & HON.

You are starting from where we all started, keep going! :D
MaryR

Post by MaryR »

Hello Oops,

As you're already 'up North', you could think about attending this year's SSG Summer School in Whitby. One of the workshops is designed for those responsible for planning the music in their parishes. It's being run by Nick Baty and more information about this, and the other workshops available, can be found on the SSG web site. The description of the music directors' workshop reads:

'Starting from scratch, how to build up the parish repertoire by planning both forwards and backwards. Hints for cantors, animators, choir leaders and instrumentalists. Building up congregational singing by attending the parish jumble sale. Finding and training potential cantors or choristers in your community. Introducing instrumental parts. Working with local schools to involve young people. Integrating the choir and the folk group. Although starting from basics, this workshop will have plenty to offer communities who already sing but want to try a new approach.'

It sounds as though you might find this useful. Plus, just getting together with other people with similar problems and chatting informally over lunch, or in the bar, can be really helpful.

I'm helping to organise the Summer School this year so, if you'd like any more information, feel free to PM me.
Mary
alan29

Post by alan29 »

The Salazar Gloria in CH is very straightforward and singable - though it is versified. I don't have hangups about that, if they expect us to sing a text then it is up to them to provide singable/settable texts.
lafrankel
Parish / Diocese: Uxbridge Parish, Middlesex

Post by lafrankel »

I am looking for a copy of the Mass by Gordon Rock which was occasionally sang at my school.

Does anyone have a copy that they would be willing to share with me?

Best wishes,

Laurence A Frankel
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

It is online as The New Pilgrims Mass with music for download and sound files. Updated to new translation.
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 4660,d.ZWU

That was supposed to be the link. Anyway, it googles well.
uh oh!
alan29

Re:

Post by alan29 »

alan29 wrote:The Salazar Gloria in CH is very straightforward and singable - though it is versified. I don't have hangups about that, if they expect us to sing a text then it is up to them to provide singable/settable texts.

That was 2005.
Little did I know ........
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

oopsorganist wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjo3OLF89TKAhXKchQKHU6SDKwQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newpilgrimsmass.org%2F&usg=AFQjCNHiSZpmJkX3RO50wgOnPelzu56M6w&bvm=bv.113034660,d.ZWU

That was supposed to be the link. Anyway, it googles well.

Thanks for the fascinating link, Oops. That site has a latin folk mass: has anyone actually tried it?
dmu3tem

Post by dmu3tem »

Yes, I like the Israeli and other Gordon Rock Masses too. They are simple and user-friendly. The trouble is that, because they alter the texts, they fall foul of the 'liturgy correctness' brigade (i.e. protagonists for an 'authentic liturgy'). Fortunately, since the accession of the present Pope, such issues appear to have been put on the back burner. Long may this state of affairs continue; especially if it means that settings designed for the pre 2011 Mass text can therefore be revived. Apart from anything else such texts are identical to those used in many Anglican Holy Communion services and therefore help promote ecumenism. It would also be nice to revive the Peruvian Gloria.
T.E.Muir
alan29

Post by alan29 »

dmu3tem wrote:Yes, I like the Israeli and other Gordon Rock Masses too. They are simple and user-friendly. The trouble is that, because they alter the texts, they fall foul of the 'liturgy correctness' brigade (i.e. protagonists for an 'authentic liturgy'). Fortunately, since the accession of the present Pope, such issues appear to have been put on the back burner. Long may this state of affairs continue; especially if it means that settings designed for the pre 2011 Mass text can therefore be revived. Apart from anything else such texts are identical to those used in many Anglican Holy Communion services and therefore help promote ecumenism. It would also be nice to revive the Peruvian Gloria.

I didn't realise things had loosened up recently.
The Peruvian Gloria is still used in some places - no names etc. It seems particularly apt on Trinity Sunday.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

The New Pilgrim's Mass by Gordon Rock is claimed to be for the new translation 2011.

The Peruvian Gloria is definitely alive and kicking around these parts
uh oh!
JW

Post by JW »

The Peruvian Gloria is a Doxology, not a paraphrase of the Gloria! (Was at a funeral the day after Ash Wednesday when it was sung - Gloria in a Funeral, wrong words, Alleluia during Lent?). Oh, and someone had presumably pointed out that we shouldn't sing 'Alleluia' for the Gospel Acclamation in Lent, so the reader read it instead...

We need decent Liturgy, not 'anything goes': priests please take note and make sure Funeral Masses are checked beforehand. And, as far as I know, the Bishops Conference 17 March 2014 ban on Mass settings using paraphrased texts still stands. And lots of decent new settings are now available

Have just had a quick look at the New Pilgrim's Mass keyboard pdf on the website. It seems to use the correct words but uses only one Mystery of Faith ('When we eat this bread') and has no ICEL or any copyright acknowledgements whatsoever, so I'd be surprised if it went past the 'Panel'. Would someone please enlighten me if I'm wrong!
JW