Choral Vespers

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

NigelHr

Choral Vespers

Post by NigelHr »

I just heard choral vespers from Leeds on BBC religion website (was at work when it was live today) - what a revelation! I didn't realise that Yorkshire had any decent Catholic choirs. As a catholic myself, I tend to visit the Minster when I need a dose of uplifting music as our PP in York is anti-choirs (he stopped thinking in about 1964, although i understand is an SSG member) - better not mention the parish! I have briefly tried and given up to invigorate the music there. :( Next time i'll be getting the train south to Leeds to hear our own catholic boys and girls singing. Long may it continue - has anyone else been on the BBC website to listen? Nigel H
musicus

Post by musicus »

Welcome to the forum, Nigel :)

Musicus (moderator)
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Welcome indeed, Nigel.
I have briefly tried and given up to invigorate the music there.
This is sad indeed. Well done for trying, hopefully seeds will have fallen on some rich, nutritious soil!

One of the many joys of being a 21ct century catholic is the capacity to travel to where the liturgy suits ones spirituality. Last Sunday I went to Birmingham Oratory for the 10.30 Latin Mass. A bit of a trek from South Wales but how uplifting. Credo IV and Mass I. (Let the reader understand).
Merseysider

Re: Choral Vespers

Post by Merseysider »

NigelHr wrote:...our PP in York is anti-choirs...

So sad to hear this sort of statement.
Luckily our PP isn't and the choir has just celebrated its first birthday (they bought me a beautiful watch and a hip flask to mark the occasion).
We're small and not very experienced but we have great fun and have developed into one of the most lively social groups in the parish.
The congregation thoroughly approve and it's a joy hearing them singing Hosannas they've not know for long with the choir singing harmonies around them.
Don't give up on your PP, you never know. People can change - one minute Ratinger, the next Pope! – perhaps that's not a good example!
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Gwyn wrote: .......I went to Birmingham Oratory for the 10.30 Latin Mass. A bit of a trek from South Wales but how uplifting. Credo IV and Mass I............

Just as a matter of interest - and just to inform readers that the Birmingham Oratory would have been using the JPII Missal - this would not have been a Tridentine Mass - which Eucharistic Prayer was proclaimed in Latin?

Just to keep on thread - the aforementioned establishment also sings choral vespers on Sundays, which draws a fair few to the pews.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Presbyter asked:
Which Eucharistic Prayer was proclaimed in Latin?

Eucharistic Prayer I

The Kyrie & Gloria were from "Missa Angelus Domini" (Palestrina)

Sanctus & Agnus Dei: Mass I.