'Ministry' of Music

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Boadicea

'Ministry' of Music

Post by Boadicea »

If music really is to be seen as an integral part of the liturgy, isn't it time that the 'Ministry' of Music was acknowledged? Or was I the only one to feel left out when the Readers and the Communion Ministers were commissioned on Thursday evening?
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Ministry

Post by organist »

Now here's a subject I feel STRONGLY about. The Church simply doesn't recognise our ministry publicly. In the C of E choir and organist are regularly thanked for all they do. Why not organise a ministry day for everyone who has a ministry and throw it open to all - everyone has a ministry. In the day you can invite people to think about their role and inivte them to rededicate themsleves or in many cases dedicate themselves for the first time! It helps to build up a team too to spend time together. Make sure everyone wears nametags including the clergy!
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

I suppose it all depends where you are. I often feel rather embarrassed by the number of times the PP publicly thanks me by name and the music group in general – don't think I've ever heard him thank the readers or collectors.

However, at Easter he thanks just about everyone and makes special mention of all those whose ministry is unseen – the people who clean the church, arrive early to unlock it and fire up the heating. And he does host a rather generous party for "all parish workers" a few days after Easter and, being the sort of small parish we are, just about every member of the assembly is there because they all do something.

Perhaps we're just rather lucky with our PP.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

ministry of musicians

Post by organist »

Merseysider You are lucky indeed! There are far too many stories of musicans unloved, "tolerated" and unsupported! And the same goes for priests! "Thank you" costs nothing!
I often think of a Midnight mass when the assistant priest came right acros the car park to say thank you to me at 2 a.m. It was so much appreciated! :lol:
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

You're right, organist. I've heard many such stories and have experienced being "tolerated" myself. We've had two supply priests recently who've both looked at the music list and snapped "I hope this isn't going to take too long!" Down to basic manners really. I wonder how some of these guys would fare in industry or commerce.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Slightly off-topic but how many times do people thank priests? Publically? for doing their liturgical ministry well?
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Gabriel wrote:how many times do people thank priests?

"Lovely service Father" - usually after cremations from non-catholics.
oopsorganist

thread

Post by oopsorganist »

Hi

my thank you would be for the congregation to join in the singing with a bit of wellie instead of pretending to sing with the book in front of them a la Catholic. There is nothing lifts me as much as hearing everyone singing with heart. Also I then know which verse I am on.

I sometimes wonder if people think I get paid.

And as Christmas approaches I wonder if people realize how tiring it is to do three services within 15 hours! And with Santa to fit in in between.
uh oh!
Dot

Post by Dot »

my thank you would be for the congregation to join in the singing with a bit of wellie

Couldn't agree more. Even to see more lips move than normal for a pre-mass practice is more reward than to hear the PP drone on about the value of musical ministry in his sermon, as happened last Sunday.

Why ask for thanks? I feel it's a wonderful privilege to be a parish musician.

dot
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

my thank you would be for the congregation to join in the singing with a bit of wellie

Amen to that. I play much better when I'm accompanying rather than leading.

Also I then know which verse I am on.

Amen to that too! Very embarrassing when you launch into v4 when there are only 3. A quick voluntary on the hymn tune usually follows to make it look deliberate.
Boadicea

Post by Boadicea »

Sorry, but we seem to be wandering from the point I initially raised here. It's not about 'asking for thanks' at all.

My concern was a wish for music to be regarded as an integral part of the liturgy. With the very public commissioning of other ministers - Eucharistic, Readers - at the Holy Thursday Service, and the commissioning of Servers on the Feast of St Stephen, and no acknowledgement at all of the musicians as ministers (in the sense of performing a liturgical role), there's a danger that the musicians - and therefore the music - will be regarded as a bit of a luxury (in the sense that you can take it or leave it), rather than an essential and necessary part of the action.
docmattc

recognising the ministry

Post by docmattc »

I agree wholeheartedly. but you are more progressive than around here. We commission extraordinary ministers of communion (as apparently we're now supposed to call them) as they begin their ministry, but its never renewed. We don't commission any other minister at all. This seems to imply a hierarchy that one must be commissioned (and prior to that trained) to distribute Christ in the form of communion, but anyone can distribute the Word with no training or commissioning at all. Ministry of music is, I suspect, considered a luxury add-on (or a hindrance to getting in and out in 45minutes depending on your point of view!)

When I took over as musical director this September I insisted on being commissioned. I used the formula taken from blessings for liturgical and pastoral ministers http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/liturgyframe.htm adapted to read my name "and all members of the choir" to include them as ministers too.
docmattc

correct link

Post by docmattc »

Sorry, wrong link above- forgot it was in a frame!

Excepts from the book of blessings to be found here
http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/liturgy/Documents/Blessings.pdf
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

It's Saint Cecelia's day near the end of November. That may be an appropriate time to commission us.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Sorry, but we seem to be wandering from the point I initially raised here.

Are we though? For music to be an integral part of the liturgy, it must touch the hearts and minds of the assembly who participate. The response of the assembly, therefore, means more than any rite of commissioning. I would add that they don't always have to participate with their voices, but don't want to get into the debate about "active participation."

dot