Triduum query

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

I helped Father Graeme light the fire last night (not a liturgical function, just that I always have a cigarette lighter) and then, as he went to vest I rehearsed the congregation before leading them outside in time to see the fire was out.

I yelled something suitable for the parish car park. One of the women came forward and said, "I know, isn't it awful – some kids must have started it" and she beamed "so I put it out".

Father G, our deacon and servers arrived just in time to see me shredding a service sheet in an attempt to relight the fire.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

One Birmingham parish a few years ago decided to leave the congregation indoors for the lighting of the Paschal candle, and relay the doings from clergy, choir and servers via radio mic. Which would have been, except that the Celebrant's involuntary comment on a candle that blew out four times in quick succession has been echoing round the parish ever since as it echoed round the church that night.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

In the days when one blessed the vigil fire with water, I do believe one Birmingham Archbishop managed to put the fire out.....
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

After last year's Mass of the Lord's Supper, during the Watching, I went into the sacristy to put music away and greeted one of our older ladies who nodded at the safe and whispered: "The Lord!".

"No," I assured her, "he's on the altar of repose".

"He was," she said. "But Father had left the doors open so I brought him in here for safety".

I peered out at the rows of folk praying devoutly before the empty tabernacle.