'Warming up' ideas

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Maz

'Warming up' ideas

Post by Maz »

Has anyone got any tried and tested warm up exercises/songs/chants for use in parish music workshops that they could share?

I'm talking enthusiastic congregation singers rather than choirs/professional singers so nothing too taxing!
claire

'Warming up' ideas

Post by claire »

Well I usually start off sessions with our local WI choir with some physical warm-ups - breathing and out to counts of six, then eight etc. Next, raising and dropping shoulders, then shoulder rolls. All this serves to encourage good posture, open up the 'column of air' to produce a good sound, and also to relax people.

Next, I get them to sing long notes in the middle range soft to loud and back to soft, go up and down the scales with 'mee may mah' to bring the sound forward - ask your people if their lips are tingling; if yes, they're doing it right.

You could also introduce some simple rounds or canons.

These are just a few ideas; I'm sure you will get a lot more. Perhaps follow up by getting them to sing something they know well and like, softly, with expression. Ask them to think about the words' meaning. A lot of people in congregations I have experienced either sing can belto, or don't sing at all! Try to get the whole congregation, not just the enthusiastic ones. You know yourself, if you are sitting in a row of non-singers, it takes a lot of bottle to sing!

Lastly, make it as fun as possible - if you are really positive and confident, they will all go away having had a great time, ready and willing for your next workshop!

Good luck!!