'Choir' and congregation

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

Post by musicus »

That's a good start, Crumhorn!

I know that this thread has been about a particular situation (though handled tactfully), but there are lessons here for us all.

Crumhorn and his group have a long way still to go, so keep up the prayers everyone. (How many forums can offer that?)

Musicus
Crumhorn

Thanks...

Post by Crumhorn »

Thanks for that, musicus. I'm glad to say that last night I slept like a baby -- first time in quite a while. I sincerely hope our organist can now do the same.

And thanks again to all on the forum who responded either here or in private messages for your support and your prayers.

All the best,
Crumhorn
(Finding new uses for wonderful old ideas!)
pacabella

Re: Thanks...

Post by pacabella »

Further to Crumhorn report. Peace and quietness seems to have broken out all over!

I sang the psalm tonight (Ash Wednesday) quietly ... tricky as there was a top E which as an alto I need a bit of umph to hit squarely. We met afterwards and the music for this Sunday reflects our rather chastened state.

We have decided to go forward with a general psalm for Lent sung this week by a cantor but possibly on subsequent weeks as a group because that experiment i.e. singing the psalm together rather than just one of us from the ambo was better received than we expected. The music will be restrained as Crumhorn and I are away and two other members of the group are not well.

We need some more input from the rest of the congregation and how we achieve that I still don't know. We are still here ... and I shalln't have to use my canon on the PP (yet!) but how we handle Triduum is still to be decided.

Pacabella
Crumhorn

Progress report

Post by Crumhorn »

I've now had a reasoned debate with the chair of our PPC -- who I think was as much sinned against as sinning -- and have carried out the first few steps in the plan of campaign I suggested and agreed with her.

To deal with the immediate requirements of the Triduum, I've thrown out a general invitation for everyone and anyone who can sing or play an instrument to join what we've called the 'Festival Music Group'. We've even had some takers :D ! As well as giving us some much-needed backup, this prevents anyone accusing us of being a 'closed shop' (which we never actually were) and ensures a more representative range of opinion when it comes to choosing the music.

This morning I put on my best sackcloth and ashes and made a little speech to our congregation saying how sorry we were if any of them had problems with the music, and inviting them to tell me exactly what they thought of today's offerings immediately after mass. Pleasant to report that almost all comments were very positive. Many complained about the lack of a final hymn and were only slightly mollified when told that this was purely a Lenten discipline...

This evening Pacabella and I sat down with our organist and took a long, hard look at all available options for the Triduum music -- and just doing THAT took us a good two hours! (Lord knows how long it'll take to actually choose what we do...) Our deliberations suggested a few possible changes, some of them quite radical, so the exercise was well worth the effort.

Summary? The chain of command is now firmly established as it should be -- with the PP having the final say, and therefore being first in line for any flak :D ! We've agreed, with great relief, to plan music 2-3 weeks in advance so that he can exercise his veto if necessary, and also ensure that we are all agreed on the significant theme for each mass -- thus resolving a problem that's been niggling us for years. There is also a refreshing air of openness about all our discussions that bodes well. At least if we disagree we can do so openly and honestly, which is considerably healthier for all concerned.

Prayers still welcome though -- this year's Triduum will be a real marathon, now that so much of our preparation time has been eaten up. Let's hope our new voices are quick learners!

All the best,
Crumhorn
(Finding new uses for wonderful old ideas!)
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Progress report

Post by VML »

To deal with the immediate requirements of the Triduum, I've thrown out a general invitation for everyone and anyone who can sing or play an instrument to join what we've called the 'Festival Music Group'. We've even had some takers :D !

Lucky you! (Said with feeling.) I also put out a general invitation via the parish bulletin, having spent 4 out of 8 choir practice times in solitude over the last three months. Result: One new volunteer who said she would learn anything I recorded for her.... I am almost tempted to take a back seat.

I'm glad you are getting a chance to concentrate on what really matters. You've handled things very sensitively, and it seems to be showing results.