Reality

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Merseysider

Reality

Post by Merseysider »

Just back from choir practice. Our small group of singers – none of whom had ever done anything like this before Lent 2004 – learned Bernadette Farrell's Christ Be Our Light in about five minutes – well enough to introduce it to the congregation on Sunday – a piece of mine in three parts, Attwood's Lead Me, Lord and a new Sanctus. Then we all retired to the adjoining bar for a sherry or three and a few laughs.

And I looked at them – I know the sounds condescending but it's not meant to be – and I thought "Wow". Here were this group of (mostly older) women who have have been involved in the Church all their lives. They've been children of Mary, in the UCM/SVP etc, they've run Christmas Fairs and bingos etc – but they've never done anything like this before. They are exercising a powerful ministry and loving it at the same time.

And I thought of some of the debates we have on here – and I wondered how they fit with the wonderful reality.

And I sat back, smiled to myself and accepted another pint.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Reality indeed, M.

As this coming Sunday's (2nd in Ord Time), psalm and readings put it; we have to start where we are and with what we have, Holy Spirit'll sort the rest for us. :)

Good on yer.

Gwyn.
Tsume Tsuyu

Reality

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Last night at Mass, we had two violinists – one nine and one nineteen, there were two teenage clarinettists (and a third, slightly older :-)), a teenage bass guitarist (who also played the African drum for one song and droned on the organ for another) and a pianist. Two of the group also played guitar for some of the songs. Among the singers (one of whom doubled up as a glockenspiel player for the Gloria), we had two new members, aged eight and eleven and, as well as the usual stalwarts of varying ages. Mass was wonderful! The music worked and the congregation seems to be joining in more than usual. This week, we sang mostly traditional songs (On Jordan's Bank, At The Name of Jesus and Be Thou My Vison) with Bernadette Farrell's 'God Has Chosen Me' being the only contemporary song. We sang Bob Hurd's Chant Gloria which has gone down a wow since we began using it at Christmas.

After Mass everyone around me seemed really uplifted and I thought: This is what it's all about; this is what Merseysider meant about reality – people of all ages using their talents to help make the liturgy good. I know we're lucky. We have a lot of very talented members of our group, but there are just as many of us involved who, like Merseysider's ladies, had done nothing like this until we joined the group, who couldn't read music at all.

And so we come together, at planning, at practices and at Mass, and we try always to keep in mind why we're doing what we're doing. We have our ups and downs, but we all have the same purpose at heart. And whilst the debating and discussion are helpful and 'doing it right' is important, of course it is, the most important thing is that we're there, exercising our ministry to the best of our ability. And, if we don't always get it right (either with what we choose, or by our fingers and voices not always doing what we intended :) ), God knows what's in our hearts.
TT
Dot

Post by Dot »

D'you know what, TT, I was there too and I totally agree with you!
The great thing about last night for me was the lack of "us and them" (choir and congregation) because the choir was strong enough to lead effectively and the congregation was happy to join in. It was also, perhaps, a younger congregation than normal?

Dot
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

And we had a similar experience this morning. Our poor PP seems up to his eyes right now and he managed to forget the service sheets – we don't always have them but there were two new items to introduce...

Anyway, 15 mins before Mass this came to light. Father G lives a couple of miles away and was willing to dive home for the sheets. But we improvised instead and used "I the Lord of sea and sky" which we hadn't planned to. Not one of my all time faves, I'll admit, but the congregation raised the roof, the choir smiled and sang even louder, improvising harmonies. I forgot my prejudices and totally enjoyed those few minutes.

We can do the new stuff another time.
Sonoqui

Post by Sonoqui »

Dot wrote:D'you know what, TT, I was there too and I totally agree with you!
It was also, perhaps, a younger congregation than normal?

Dot

D'you know what TT and Dot, I was there too and agree with you both!

Well, actually, I do slightly disagree about the congregation being younger than normal. For starters, I was there, which immediately raises the average age by a few years!

Many of the congregation attempted at least parts of that wonderful Gloria - by far my favourite of all the ones I've heard.

And THAT version of 'Be Thou My Vision' is always guaranteed to send shivers up and down my spine. I just love the way it starts off fairly quietly and builds up over the verses, with more instruments joining in (particularly the drum!).

I got a few funny looks as I was going round Tesco afterwards 'cos I kept whistling/humming it.

Yes, Mass last night really was an even more uplifting experience than usual.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Well, I wasn't there :D , so could someone tell me where I can find this Chant Gloria by Bob Hurd, please? Our parish is on the lookout for a new setting.

Thanks

Musicus
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

musicus wrote:.......could someone tell me where I can find this Chant Gloria by Bob Hurd, please?

Sure. We found it in a collection called 'Journeysongs' (OCP Publications). It suggests an organ drone accompaniment and has a handbell arrangement but, in the absence of any handbells, we've been using a glockenspiel to great effect!
TT
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:an organ drone accompaniment
you mean somebody like me stands at the front during the Gloria, solemnly intoning "the Open Diapason No.2 came from the T C Lewis organ at St. Ethelburger's when that church closed, but the rest of the Great and about half of the Swell was from the original instrument, which was of course by Harrison, athough the 1904 rebuild was carried out by Hill Norman and Beard, and included the provision of Great and Swell octave and suboctave couplers, together with... (etc ad infinitum)"?
musicus

Post by musicus »

contrabordun wrote:
Tsume Tsuyu wrote:an organ drone accompaniment
you mean somebody like me stands at the front during the Gloria, solemnly intoning "the Open Diapason No.2 came from the T C Lewis organ at St. Ethelburger's when that church closed, but the rest of the Great and about half of the Swell was from the original instrument, which was of course by Harrison, athough the 1904 rebuild was carried out by Hill Norman and Beard, and included the provision of Great and Swell octave and suboctave couplers, together with... (etc ad infinitum)"?

Fascinating. I, for one, would like to hear more.

Musicus
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Well, full details can apparently be found in 'Journeysongs' (OCP)...
musicus

Post by musicus »

musicus wrote:Fascinating. I, for one, would like to hear more.

Musicus

Err... Heavy irony, people!
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Organ drone.

Post by Gwyn »

Contrabordun joked,

Fantastic :lol:
Dot

Reality?

Post by Dot »

Reality? This thread has taken up on a Paul Mertonesque style of surrealism.

I have something to add about the aforementioned setting of the Gloria, though.
It is simple - congregational stuff.
It also reminds me of that quotation from "Tra le Sollecitudini":
"The more closely a composition for church approaches in its movement, inspiration and savour the Gregorian melodic form, the more sacred and liturgical it becomes; and the more out of harmony it is with that supreme model, the less worthy it is of the temple."

Dot
claire

Re: Reality

Post by claire »

Sorry, not yet used to this posting lark, so if another message comes out weird - sorry!!

Totally agreed with the quote - gregorian chant was, is and ever shall be a basis of good musical composition for the Church - subjective, I know!!