Eternal Word Television Network

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Eternal Word Television Network

Post by Gwyn »

The forces of evil have all but complete control over the mass communication media in this country, probably over those media of most of at least the western world. One has only to look at the selection of TV programming this and every Christmas, at Easter and generally throughout the year to realise this. There is little if any mention of Christ, his Nativity or his act of redemption unless it's in a ridiculing fashion on some alternative comedy show.

On the other hand there are a number of Sky Television channels where non-conformist preachers rave and rant, delivering a slanted, maybe incomplete gospel message. There are too some channels funded by Muslims, these are faithful (as far as I now) to their beliefs and teachings offering hourly readings from the Quoran and their ministers teach and teach and teach. There's even an astrology channel.

Where is the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church represented in all this? Hardly anywhere. True we have Mother Angelica and the Eternal Word brethren who present solid doctrin, catechism, daily mass, children's programmes, daily rosary, bible study, morning and evening prayer, religious music, fora for questions and answers, phone-ins, etc.. All good solid stuff indeed but only on channel 897 on Sky radio, you could be forgiven for not knowing of its existence.

My point is, why is EWTN television version not available to all who flip through the Sky television channels searching for the truth? Why is it that the catholic voice is sidelined on a radio band while other faiths and denominations grab searching ears and thirsting souls?

We're in serious danger of losing a big, big battle here and on probably the biggest battle-field of all.

I'm ignorant on such matters as this but, how could we, the catholic church in the UK, help to ensure that EWTN becomes available free on Sky TV?
James

EWTN IS BADLY NEEDED!

Post by James »

I couldn't agree more, in our culture that demands we do not even speak of our Catholic faith, EWTN is a breath of fresh air. Its programmes are informative, entertaining, spiritually uplifting. Who would ever think that TV, Radio or the Internet can do that...but EWTN sure does. "Awesome", to use Mother M. Angelica's own word.

In the UK EWTN can be obtained by contacting your own Satellite installer who will install the HotBird 6 satellite receiver for about £300. After than there are no charges at all. EWTN is free to air, so why don't the major UK Satellite operators take the opportunity and put it on their satellites. Ireland did, and it is now one of their main TV channels.

EWTN is throughly Orthodox and is extremely faithful to John Paul II which is essential today, when so many people including priests feel that to agree with Rome is somehow illogical. What???

The daily Mass on EWTN is beautiful from the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word (MFVA) Church in Birmingham, Alabama - an order of priests founded by Mother M. Angelica, PCPA, and is broadcast daily live at 1 p.m. (7 a.m. Alabama time) and encored at 6.00 p.m. I know a couple of the priests from there and they are truly Catholic and real people too!

Please please please check out http://www.ewtn.com and watch EWTN live on the Internet and http://www.ewtn.org.uk for it's UK apostolate.

EWTN is badly needed and we need to do something about it!

Pray for EWTN and Mother Angelica during her current illness and difficulties!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

EWTN has strong links with Catholic World News – http://www.cwnews.com/ – which is slightly to the right of Attilla the Hun (they are Mother Angelica's newlink). Have a look at their website – stuffed full of supposed Catholicism but little evidence of Christianity.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Merseysider wrote:slightly to the right of Attilla the Hun

sorry - objection - you've hit a hobby horse...I hate "left" and "right" being used as shorthand for "nice people" and "nasty authoritarians". What does 'to the right of Attilla the Hun" mean in this context? The BBC's foreign correspondents were doing this during the elections in Iran a couple of years ago. Groups opposing increased democracy were automatically labelled "right wing", but they didn't seem to be much in favour of privatisation, free trade or liberal markets.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Fair comment. Have a look at CWN's site and decide for yourself. But be careful if you're black, Jewish, Islamic, gay (which for CWN also means paedophile), a single mother, not pro George Bush, against hanging. If you favour the English bishops you'll find some opposition – and if you think standing for Communion is not a captal offence you could be verbally shot. Prepare yourself for condemnation of Cardinal Keith O'Brien and Bishop Peter Smith.
In this context, "slightly to the right of Attilla the Hun" makes no reference to economic policy but to lack of tolerance and and making no attempt to understand that there's more than one way of thinking in our world.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Merseysider wrote:Fair comment. Have a look at CWN's site and decide for yourself.

For sure, I shouldn't think that many of the contributors to their Sound Off! forum subscribe to the US equivalents of the Tablet or the Guardian!

Each to their own...

Musicus
James

ewtn

Post by James »

All that said ... what is the problem with EWTN then?
musicus

Re: ewtn

Post by musicus »

On reflection, this thread is off-topic. As I wrote in another thread:

On 22.12.2004, Musicus wrote:This is the place to talk about absolutely anything to do with the SSG's two main concerns: pastoral liturgy and pastoral music. These two very broad areas encompass an awful lot of stuff, so it should be easy to stay on-topic. I'll tell you if you don't!

Friends, please allow me to remind you all that this forum is for the discussion of pastoral liturgy and pastoral music, and not for wider issues and opinions, however sincerely held.

Thank you.

Musicus (moderator)