Syllabus for Church Musicians

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Merseysider

Syllabus for Church Musicians

Post by Merseysider »

Has anyone else been traumatised by the Preliminary Syllabus for the Formation of Church Musicians (http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Music) ?

I'm sure it's a wonderful idea and it's great that the Church is taking music so seriously. But is this too serious?

I know the course is simply a suggestion and voluntary but, speaking as one who couldn't pass one single item (let alone study area or module) in it, it scared me into thinking, "*beep*! I shouldn't be doing this – leave it to the pros".

Is there a danger that such a scheme could scare away people who are valued in their parishes?

Are there more subtle ways of helping those of us who need a leg up?

Interested to know what others think.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Has anyone else been traumatised by the Preliminary Syllabus for the Formation of Church Musicians (http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Music) ?

Answer: no.

Well, I've got a certificate which says:
"This is to certify that Dot has successfully attended a course of study following the Preliminary Syllabus for the Formation of Church Musicians."
I've read the Syllabus, but I wouldn't say I've done it all.

I've also got an M.A., which I believe I paid £9 for. I don't believe I'm a master of anything and, since my degree's in chemistry, I don't know what it's got to do with "Arts".

And you've got a church community who appreciate what you're doing. That's priceless.

Leave it to the pros.... who are they? I would say:- leave it to those who believe in what they're doing.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Dot wrote:
Has anyone else been traumatised by the Preliminary Syllabus for the Formation of Church Musicians

Answer: no.

How can you possibly know?

Dot wrote: I've got a certificate which says..."Dot has successfully attended a course of study following the Preliminary Syllabus for the Formation of Church Musicians."

So you must have been able to attempt it in part at least. For many of us it's terrifying.

Dot wrote: Leave it to the pros.... who are they? I would say:- leave it to those who believe in what they're doing.

So what's the point of the syllabus as it stands? It's surely wonderful that liturgical music is being taken so seriously that the syllabus exists at all. But if the desire is that that we all reach it's ideals then someone somewhere is going to be rather disappointed.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Wasn't the Syllabus the basis of the 2002 Summer School?

Gabriel
Dot

Post by Dot »

"Has anyone?" becomes a fatuous question if you cannot answer it speaking from your own point of view, as I was doing above, and well you know it, Merseysider.

Yes, the Syllabus was the basis of the 2002 Summer School. As a punter, I was surprised that more direct reference to the Syllabus was not made. In terms of coverage, the liturgical, pastoral and musical threads were developed in different talks, and my clearest memory is of the importance of hugging in dealing with pastoral difficulties!

I think the point of the Syllabus is to provide a framework for study, as is any syllabus. I find the experience of music ministry quite daunting at times, and at the time I wished to build up my own confidence in and awareness of what I was doing. All I had to do was attend Summer School and write an essay (t'would have been nice to go on a training day too, but that was cancelled for lack of interest). The main thing was that it made me reflect on what I and others were doing. As I said before, I don't feel I've "done" the Syllabus, but I still don't find its content daunting, even though I could not talk knowledgeably or perform competently on all aspects of it. I would like to dip into it again at a future date.

I think you are being over-critical of the Liturgy Office, Merseysider.

Dot
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Dot wrote:and well you know it, Merseysider Dot

I stand rebuked.

Dot wrote:you are being over-critical of the Liturgy Office, Merseysider. Dot

I most certainly am not – I am among its supporters. I am simply sad that the syllabus is a tad beyond me. It's incredibly demanding (as it should be) which leaves we lesser mortals on the outside. For those who can understand it and reach that sort of standard, that is wonderful. Can every parish find such a person?
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Can every parish find such a person?[/quote]

I would add ........who can find the time!