When we are one....

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

When we are one....

Post by presbyter »

This discussion forum is almost a year old - anyone feel like posting something about "what do we think of it so far?"

I'll just say thank you to the Society for making this facility available.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For information, here're the stats:

The forum was started on 21 Dec 2003. It has two main areas for discussion - general and composers - and the music download area. There are a couple of private areas, for example for the Summer School team to discuss and plan next years' school.

So far, we've posted 1991 posts, or 5.54 posts per day, in 186 topics. There are 76 registered users of whom 56 have contributed to the discussions. The three settings of the Gloria have been downloaded between 15 and 20 times each.

Any feedback about what you 'think of the show so far' would be very useful to me (and I guess to SSG too!) as it is the only way that changes (improvements?) can be planned.

Thanks!
The Management
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

I've been a member of the forum almost since its inception and I'd just like to say that I think it's brilliant! I enjoy it on several levels:

The discussions - some of these have been very serious and thought-provoking and I've learnt a lot from contributors who are much better read and more knowledgeable than me. I've also appreciated being able to raise issues that I've been concerned about or interested in. The feedback from others has been positive and constructive and generally very helpful. I've found both the General Discussion and the Composers' Corner Forums interesting. With regard to the latter, it's good to have the involvement of the Liturgy Office. I also think the Music for Download section is a great new addition.

Entertainment value - well, some of the threads have certainly had me rolling around the floor laughing at times. I've thoroughly enjoyed the wit and humour (although Morning Prayer Crescent still completely baffles me :? ).

Private messages - the PM-ing facility has enabled me to share exchanges with people all over the country (and further afield) and I've made lots of new friends.

New skills - I am now practically fluent in Japanese thanks to the challenges thrown down by various contributors! I shall be adding this particular skill to my CV. :-)

And finally, grateful thanks to Admin for maintaining the forum and to the Moderators for their common sense approach to moderating!
TT
musicus

Post by musicus »

I see that we have just notched-up 2000 posts. which must be some kind of achievement.

Well done, everyone. Keep 'em coming.

Musicus (moderator)
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:New skills - I am now practically fluent in Japanese...

When I first saw your choice of pseudonym, TT, I was sure there was some connection to the Chuckle Brothers. :-) On balance it's how I like to think of you, anyway.

Anyway, I agree! Very glad the forum is here, and very glad of the people I've made friends with through it. Not sure every topic has been one I'm glad to have seen being aired in public :? , but it's always reassuring to know there are people out there who know more than I do about these things. Keep 'em coming, as the man said.

M.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

I've met some great people on here – made one or two friends too. I've sung with some of them, eaten with others and, in one case, shared life stories.

Apologies to anyone I've been cross with – TT says she can always tell if I've had a drink before posting! Oops! And here I am with a whisky at my side, to help me get through the last leg of writing band parts for next weekend.

To you all, thank for putting up with me and Festive Felictations.

God bless us all – everyone!
Dot

Post by Dot »

One year on (exactly a year since Dot subscribed to the Forum), it is good to know there is somewhere that a wider spectrum of opinions may be displayed than in one's narrow parochial neck of the woods, a wider breadth of knowledge shared, and one may tingle with anticipation at the prospect of a new animated avatar from Gwyn (the skipping one never really worked for me). It doesn't always help you solve your problems, but it's good to know there's another point of view out there, and at times this year it's helped to keep me sane.

Awards: may I nominate please, dear Moderator:
Best Editing: Merseysider
Best Avatar: Vox Americana, or maybe Sonoqui (suits you so well)
Best Late Arrival: there are so many......
Best Morning Prayer Crescent entry: well, I don't even understand half of 'em.

Please add your nominations and new award categories just to liven up the Forum over the holiday period. Go on.... could we have an end of year awards ceremony please, judged by Moderator?

Dot
musicus

Awards

Post by musicus »

Dot wrote:Please add your nominations and new award categories just to liven up the Forum over the holiday period. Go on.... could we have an end of year awards ceremony please, judged by Moderator?

That's a great idea, Dot: let's continue it in this thread.

Folk can make up new "best" categories (let's keep it positive) and nominate other users.

The usual moderation rules will apply, so no offensive stuff please.

All entries must be in by the stroke of the New Year, and my decisions will be final. No prizes are promised or implied.

Musicus
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Dot wrote:Awards: may I nominate please, dear Moderator:
Best Editing: Merseysider

Hm! Not quite sure what this implies... :?
Sonoqui

Post by Sonoqui »

Dot wrote:Best Avatar: ............... or maybe Sonoqui (suits you so well)
Dot

Gosh, Dot! I've never been nominated for anything before. Don't know whether to feel flattered or insulted (leave it with me for a while - a few (more) gins should do the trick).

"Suits you so well" - goodness, you'll be giving everyone the wrong impression about me.

I'm speechless - not a state I'm usually familiar with - but will do my best to rival Gwyneth Paltrow at the Awards Ceremony should I be fortunate enough to win!
Dot

Hm! Not quite sure what this implies...

Post by Dot »

Not to worry, M, it is completely free of inuendo. For "best", read "most prolific"; you have the biggest pile on your cutting room floor. It's a sign of sensitivity.

Dot
Dot

Sonoqui for best avatar

Post by Dot »

Well, I think it's a very endearing little avatar for a fellow parishioner whose views I appreciate and respect. Enjoy the exposure, darling. If you win the award I'll come round and present you with a bottle of gin!

There was an avatar for me once upon a time with a soap connection; it went up elsewhere on this website for a week or so. It would have been funny had it not been claimed to be a true likeness.......

Dot
Merseysider

Re: Hm! Not quite sure what this implies...

Post by Merseysider »

Dot wrote:Not to worry, M...It's a sign of sensitivity. Dot

Or hypersensitivity – or me posting (with the best intentions) having had a couple of whiskies and thinking better of it at a later date!
Happy New Year, Dot.
Tsume Tsuyu

awards

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Dot wrote:....the prospect of a new animated avatar from Gwyn (the skipping one never really worked for me)

Well, it does it for me! You go Gwyn. :D

I'd like to nominate Gwyn for the award of 'contributor most likely to make me smile', with Merseysider a close second. And it's Merseysider who gets my vote for 'contributor who has made me laugh my socks off', mostly trying to guess what should go in the bits of his posts that get *beeped* out! :-)

May I nominate presbyter as the 'contributor who has made me think the most' and Sidvicius as 'contributor who has made me think again the most'.

Vox gets my vote for 'cheekiest contributor' and I think Sonoqui has the cutest avatar (but then again, Vox is a strong contender in this category too.... :wink: )

Just noticed that Dot has hit a century not out. Well done Dot! And it was my first anniversary of joining yesterday, so Happy Birthday to me for yesterday. :-)
TT
Dot

More awards

Post by Dot »

Hit a century, but I think the stumps fell off long ago. No award for that, TT.

Have been reviewing the Late Arrivals topic, and would like to nominate Gwyn and Presbyter; they are both capable of brilliant and appallingly bad entries. (Particularly like the Ho Li one; simple ones are best)

Following that, I would like to nominate the pair of them for the "Great Minds Think Alike" award, for their contributions of 27/6/04 at around 10:30pm on this topic.

It seems that Ex Cathedra has already been given the Morning Prayer Crescent award. Phew, that saves some head-scratching.

Could I nominate myself for a greatest achievement award - for getting the Chair of SSG to come out of the shadows on July 15th (still on Late Arrivals).

By the way, Merseysider just has to win an award, because I know he'll be in tears when he comes up to receive it, and what's an award ceremony without a bit of pathos?

I'm just going off now to write my acceptance speech.

Dot