A tune by any other name

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

A tune by any other name

Post by Hare »

:? As an ex-Anglican, I refer to hymn TUNES - eg; what TUNE shall we use for "Praise to the Holiest"?

Since becoming a Catholic, lifelong Catholics (round here anyyay) seem to refer to hymn tunes as "AIRS".

Yes, I do know what Air means in this context; I just wonder why the term is used by Catholics referring to hymn tunes? Is there a historical reason?
excathedra

Re: A tune by any other name

Post by excathedra »

Hare wrote:Since becoming a Catholic, lifelong Catholics (round here anyyay) seem to refer to hymn tunes as "AIRS".

I wonder why they started doing that after you became a Catholic. :wink:

No, but seriously; I have never come across "air" used in this sense, in any context, Catholic or otherwise, except in pre-20th century publications.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Same here in darkest South Wales, I've never heard the word 'air' used in that context. Lovely innit?
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

In my experience, the term tends to be used by the more elderly Irish community.
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

one song to the tuneof another

Post by pirate »

The only people I know who call tunes 'airs' even in liturgy are the Irish sisters who are students at the place where I work. In the parish choir, though, we tend to refer to a tune by the first line of the hymn text which usually goes with it' as in: 'What tune are we singing for 'O comfort my people and calm all their fear?' to which the answer is 'O purest of creatures'. (The tune in Celebration for Everyone has a nice English name but according to my Irish sisters has something to do with County Clare and has been known to reduce them to giggles when required to sing it in the liturgy.)

I've noticed people using hymn tune names especially when working with other Christians, particularly Methodists, who seem to have them all at their fingertips, while I'm going, 'Could you hum that for me and we'll see if I know it?' :) Something I seem to have missued out on during my Methodist upbringing...
Hare

Post by Hare »

presbyter wrote:In my experience, the term tends to be used by the more elderly Irish community.

That encompasses much of my congregation then - thanks!!
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Wait till you have a big Irish funeral and the requests for this and that Irish air on the organ ;)
Hare

Post by Hare »

presbyter wrote:Wait till you have a big Irish funeral and the requests for this and that Irish air on the organ ;)

Had that today actually - "Danny Boy" of course!
sidvicius

Hare's Air

Post by sidvicius »

-otherwise known as Londonderry Air, which I always thought was an affliction you got from travelling on the Tube too much. We say "what tune is that?" round here too, by the way. The term 'air' is rarely, er, aired.