Bible translations

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Advice please! I am hoping to buy a bible for a theology graduate currently doing PGCE in RE.
She thinks NRSV is the best current version but I don't know what differences there are between the Catholic edition and the others or Anglican editions. Does anyone know please?

Thanks in advance,
V
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

Bible versions that are for use by Protestant denominations do not include the Deuterocanonical books. Sometimes a protestant Bible will include an Apocrypha at the end. This contains most but not all the Deuterocanonical books.

A Catholic edition will contain the Deuterocanonical books in place. A quick check is to look for the Book of Wisdom in the Old Testament after the Song of Songs.

I knew there was an advantage in being a convert from the C of E.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Thanks Ros.
I bought the Catholic NRSV which was a gratefully appreciated Christmas present. :)
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Have a look at http://rockhay.tripod.com/worship/translat.htm which gives many online translations of the Bible. Within that, Bible Gateway is particularly interesting as it allows you to see the same chapter/verse in several versions – also useful for searching a word or a theme.