Mary How Sweetly Falls that Word

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Don9of11
Parish / Diocese: St. Mary's Parish / Cleveland Dioceses

Mary How Sweetly Falls that Word

Post by Don9of11 »

Is the hymn Mary How Sweetly Falls that Word still sung in the UK?

I've been doing some research on the composer (E.M. Bray) and author of this hymn (See attached)
E M Bray.pdf
I'm wondering if anyone might have information on the composer or author that isn't on the internet.

Thank you and a Merry Christmas!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Southern Comfort

Re: Mary How Sweetly Falls that Word

Post by Southern Comfort »

Although your documentation shows that this hymn appeared in the St Basil Hymnal until the 1950s, that hymnal was never used on this side of the Pond. I have never heard of either the hymn or its author. It has not appeared in any UK hymnal in recent times.
Don9of11
Parish / Diocese: St. Mary's Parish / Cleveland Dioceses

Re: Mary How Sweetly Falls that Word

Post by Don9of11 »

For anyone who might be following this discussion, for the past couple of years now I have posted on my website a HYMN OF THE MONTH. Each month I feature a short story on a Catholic hymn with a short biography on the author, the composer(s), and a short reflection. This month I have chosen a favorite hymn of mine, Mary! How Sweetly Falls That Word. This is a beautiful hymn that honors the Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Take a few moments to read about the author and composer of this beautiful Catholic hymn and be sure to share this story with all your friends.

https://www.motherofmercycatholichymns. ... that-word/