Triduum

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Triduum

Post by organist »

We have found our new parish. I offered to play for induction Mass. Christmas organ unusable because of leaks. Cantor did well and we joined in. I still think Missa de Angelis recording for a children's mass is crazy and in the end we only sang Gloria. The pp started by asking me to play at offertory and communion, following week beforehand and following week at the end as well! That congregation don't like singing he says. Sundays they sing 4 hymns either with organist or recordings. He requested that I choose music for Holy Thursday and the Vigil at which there will be 4 baptisms and 4 confirmations (I offered to play as Anglicans said they could not get priests to cover!). I kept it simple using cantor led items eg Lourdes Gloria and Sanctus, sent lists and we met and all was agreed. I copied everything so folders could be made for cantor and pp from my folder. Then comes email with revised list. No sung psalms, hymns changed, Latin Missa de Angelis, Vidi aquam, Ecce lignum. He had asked me to play on Good Friday. I was reluctant. The events of 20 years ago still with me sadly. I began by requesting a meeting and saying I felt very strongly that psalms should be sung. Reply pastoral reasons. But still wants them said so the length would be the same! I then tackled Benediction at the end of Holy Thursday - long explanation and O salutaris is dropped. There is no blessing. I requested that the other organist play on Good Friday. It emerges last year (pp's first) was chaos. Played on Sat no chance to discuss. I nearly pulled out completely last week. Still feeling uncertain and unhappy. I told pp I don't want any hassle at this stage of my life. Do I make a stand or just give in and see what happens?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Triduum

Post by Nick Baty »

organist wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:29 amBenediction at the end of Holy Thursday
Seriously?
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Life is too short to get involved with that sort of nonsense.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Just say No, and walk away.
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

Southern Comfort wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:16 am Just say No, and walk away.
Hear, hear.

I have, most relutantly, had to do that under a previous regime.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Someone needs some serious formation. Ouch.